Would You Buy Used Tanks?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

redneckalbertan

Re: Would You Buy Used Tanks?

Post by redneckalbertan »

Or they were considered spoils of war and taken home.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

redneckalbertan wrote:The technical school had a CO2 bottle with Nazi stamping and an original date of 1936. Lots of life if you treat them right!
SteveHGraham wrote:I never really thought about that. The Germans and Austrians must have had a lot of great industrial surplus after their total humiliation by the Allies.
redneckalbertan wrote:Or they were considered spoils of war and taken home.
Actually, it is extraordinarily unlikely it was a European origin or war capture bottle. The "Nazi" bottles are a misunderstanding that continues to live on...

Prior to the WW2, the swastika was an extremely common symbol used for the previous thousand years, including bottle stampings going back to atleast the late 1800s/early 1900s (I've seen pictures of swastica-stamped bottles dating from 1906/1910). This was well before the Nazi party was conceived.

If you look closely, the bottle swastika in vertically/horizontally oriented with a clockwise rotation. The Nazi swastika is oriented at a 45deg angle with a counter-clockwise rotation. With the rise of the Nazi party in the early 1930s (and subsequent WW2), the swastika quickly fell out of favor world-wide. By the late 30's and into WW2 most tanks of the era had the swastika "boxed in" by closing the arms of the swastika.

Here are some examples of early tanks.
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?37 ... xygen-tank
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?47 ... ght=bottle

Wish I could find that 1906 bottle picture....
ronm

Post by ronm »

That swastika thing is interesting-I was having a hard time getting my head around why an oxygen tank would be spoils of war...seems like Walthers & broomhandle Mausers were more like what a soldier would ship home...
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

It is correct that the swastika had other meanings until the Nazis gave it a bad name. I have an old bearing scraper or two that have that marking that were made by Buffum Tool in St Louis, MO. The Navajo Indians, also used the symbol but turning CCW instead of CW. Farmington has some old buildings with the symbol in the masonry with different colored bricks.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

we hauled lots of stuff out of Germany along with the various sientists. after the war. oc course so did Russia.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OK, choprboy has it right. It is just a symbol that had no particular meaning, other than a wish for comfort and safty to the user. The crossed 'S' symbol goes way back in history, first noted around 318 BC. It continues in the Eastern religious world as a sign of protection, and occurs in the American West as a tribal omen of luck and fortune. It is featured in Jewelry in the Western cultures of Victorian times.

Its use today inspires the shadows of an evil war, not the original intention of safe passing and comfort.

a trip to Wiki-pedia, will change your mind about such information, that can be verified on other archeological, and sociological studies, that really encompass the globe.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

New question: do the smaller tanks (20 cu ft and MC) require any type of cap to protect the valves? I don't see any way to thread a cap on.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:New question: do the smaller tanks (20 cu ft and MC) require any type of cap to protect the valves? I don't see any way to thread a cap on.
Nope.....MSHA didn't even whine about 'em....and they whine about everything. The usual rules applied....stand vertical, and retain with chain.....but the big bottle rules....had to have guards over the valves, whether there were regulators on 'em or not, didn't apply.

I guess, the theory is they are so small, if they fell over and the valve bounced off the ground or floor, they wouldn't fail. The valves on 'em don't stick out there like the larger bottles. I have a bunch of 'em, and have used a bunch more, and seen them tossed around all over in the back of trucks and mucker buckets, and never had a problem. They are pretty tough.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks.

I'm starting to think a Smith Little Torch would be the smartest addition to my welding stuff. I considered getting something bigger, but I have never had to deal with anything too big for the MIG, and I have definitely had to deal with things that were too small. I have plasma to cut stuff.

Smith makes a caddy for really small tanks, but I think I would be better off with the next size up, to avoid excessive refilling and spending more per cubic foot. I guess I can find a caddy on my own.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

If you only need a short slice, or weld or two, not a bad way to go.
Can't beat the portability. I used mine a few weeks ago to slice off a seized inner bearing race on a John Deere spindle....it was out in the sticks a bit. Handy for stuff like that.

Mine is a Harris. Smith, Lincoln, and others make the same package. My set came with everything, including some welding/brazing tips.
Torch.jpg
I think I would avoid the Horror Freight clones, although, I have no experience with them.....I'm just guessin'.....

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
ronm

Post by ronm »

warmstrong1955 wrote: I think I would avoid the Horror Freight clones, although, I have no experience with them.....I'm just guessin'.....
Bill
Mine works fine-seems to be OK quality, for what I paid for it...(nothing). My sister gave it to me for helping her move. She had a lot of stuff she never used...cowboyfriend she had for a while "helped" her shop for stuff, I suspect. :roll:
But the torch does work, even cuts nice...
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Those porta- sets are handy. Only thing is the plastic carrier is tough, but can burn, if you dont reel off enough hose. Ask me how I know..

A steel tubing based carrier is a nice project to braze or weld together, on a boring Saturday, so theres no excuse to have all the bits and piles to carry around like I do.. (Maybe next weekend..)
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.