SYNCROWAVE 500

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Vance Nickerson

SYNCROWAVE 500

Post by Vance Nickerson »

I bought this welder thinking it would be the ultimate home shop machine and have found out I dont have the electrical capacity to operate it. I ony have 70 amp service to my shop and need to sell it any serious offers. I weld with it but just cant crank up the amps without tripping the main breaker. It is single phase 220 or 480 volt I have it set on 220 volts but two minutes can switch it to 480 volts.
Attachments
SYNCROWAVE 500.jpg
Vance Nickerson

Re: SYNCROWAVE 500

forgot to add nickersonvance@gmail for email and 903-374-5680
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

What about the option of larger service to the shop? If you need a big welder, you are going to be disappointed with anything less.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Vance Nickerson wrote:I bought this welder thinking it would be the ultimate home shop machine and have found out I dont have the electrical capacity to operate it. I ony have 70 amp service to my shop and need to sell it any serious offers. I weld with it but just cant crank up the amps without tripping the main breaker. It is single phase 220 or 480 volt I have it set on 220 volts but two minutes can switch it to 480 volts.
I would keep it if I were you and that is the only issue you have with it. Another machine of lesser capability will still trip the breaker at the same amperage setting as with this machine. You may have to step down in size of pass or travel speed. Or as was mentioned increase your service. The syncrowaves were good machines.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Good machine. Buy some wire. Cheaper than another machine.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Really, it's not the machine tripping the breaker, but what you are asking it to do.

If you run it at a level where it's not tripping the breaker, that's probably all you are going to get out of a smaller machine that won't trip the breaker.

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Even turned down, the inrush current to saturate the windings on those big old transformer machines can trip breakers all on it's own. I thought I might get away with it like that on my Sync 351, but it would trip a 60A (IIRC) breaker about 50% just turning it on, even with the amps dialed back. I rewired a dedicated drop off the main panel so it can run wide open now. I know he said the 500 would run unless turned it up, but that was the explanation I was given on why mine kept tripping even with the amps down.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Vance Nickerson

I do need to sell this machine make me a good offer.
Vance Nickerson

Had a dedicated 200 amp service installed to feed this beast and was wondering if anyone knew of a proven way to install a dense connector so I could use my flex lock and other torches from my syncrowave 200 without having to take anything apart?
redneckalbertan

I'm not sure what a dense connector is, but these are what I use with my stick welder. The quick connects are from a torch but you can get them for inert gas as well. I see why you couldn't use what I've shown for a tig torch. If they have water cooling you could get other connectors for that as well.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

It's spelled "Dinse". And as stated, you can attach whatever connectors you want. Mine is setup to easily swap SMAW to GTAW, but I don't recall what specific spec fitting it uses. But the water line is not quick connect, though that could be changed. I think the main problem would be keeping it from getting air into the system.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
redneckalbertan

Never heard them refered to as dinse connectors before! I guess you learn somethig new everyday. There are several different types and styles of connectors. My decision was really hard, my Dad ran with a certain connector so I used the same ones when I bought them to insure swap ability between our stuff. If this is of concern to you find out what others use and use the same thing.

If nothing else find a local welding supplier and pick one! I think a local source is better, that way if you drop something accross your connector, cable, torch, etc. it's a quick drive away to get a new one.