Brazing project

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

GabeP

Brazing project

Post by GabeP »

Hi, I am an amateur metalworker looking for an inexpensive project involving a propane torch, and some brazing rods. I was wondering what ideas you experts may have for a beginner.

Thanks.
The art of creativity is knowing how to make crafts with the tools that you have.
Russ Hanscom

Re: Brazing project

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The best projects are something that you need, so look for gadgets or things you need to make your workshop better. Make a list and share, others may have options on how to do it best.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

You can always practice welding stringer beads. It would help you learn how to braze... Iwill warn you its almost as exciting as it sounds! It may be wise to start here before you try your hand at building a project. If you are jjust starting to work with metal by taking one task and practicing it until you get good enough to move on will remove the frustration of learning how to braze from the creation of your project.

there are a couple pictures below I would start similarly to the fist picture except use a ruler or square, and tape measure and draw some parallel lines on the plate a 1/2" or so apart then follow the lines with your bead. When you are done the lines then go back and weld beside each of your beads and build your plate into the second picture. You can also try your hand with Oxy-Fuel welding rod.

Same hand skills required for both, similar in many aspects but can serve two entirely different purposes and applications. This also paves the way for TIG welding in the future if that is a path you wish to go down!
Attachments
welding003.jpeg
6a0120a57627b9970b014e888e2e3b970d-pi.jpeg
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Besides boring practice on a coupon, drag out the bolt box, with all those spare bolts and widgets, and build some people, birds, bulldozers, and such table art, while you learn to hold and heat small parts. If the idea takes hold, the practice will be miles toward your goal of doing things efficiently, without blobs and goops of brass all over. Wire coat hanger makes for good tendons and form-able arms. The object is heat control. Its up to you.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

He wishes to practice BRAZING, not welding.

I've found that propane does not provide sufficient heat for brazing, only soft soldering (for example 63/37 Sn/Pb [eutectic point 183 °C or 361 °F] for electrical joining).
I use MAPP gas for silver brazing, which requires the materials being joined to equally get to a dull red color/heat before the ~45% silver alloy will properly melt and flow.
For brazing steels with bronze rod, 0xy-acetylene is required. Otherwise the parts cannot get heated red fast enough and much surface ash gets produced, interfering with the braze material flow and bonding.
For all brazing, surface preparation/cleaning is important, plus the use of the correct brazing flux.

So take some small pieces of steel rod, or strip, or angle, and practice brazing them together.
I like to flame-heat the brazing rod a little bit and plunge it into the powdered flux can. The rod gets coated with a reasonable amount of flux, making application simple when the rod is placed into the flame at the heated joint being made.

There are excellent brazing "How To" instructions on the internet.
For example: for tubing:
http://www.achrnews.com/articles/106810 ... asic-steps
The Harris Products Group has good handbooks you can download, for different types of brazing.
http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com
Read up first to maximize your success, and know the correct equipment and materials to use.

Brazing is an excellent method of joining metals without melting the pieces being joined, like welding does.
And the lower-temperature silver brazing provides excellent ways to join dissimilar metals.
It is one of my favorite fabrication methods for my steam engines' more complex components.
~RN
Sandman north

Post by Sandman north »

The only thing I can add is.... when brazing if it is sizzling like bacon thrown on a hot pan everything is too hot. NO sizzling allowed

Heat your base metal to a nice red color then melt you rod onto the base metal.
also do not use brazing on an exhaust as it will become brittle and break.
to make brass brittle heat it & cool slowly Oh that's what exhaust systems do.

and NP317 is correct 0xy-acetylene is needed
GabeP

Post by GabeP »

Hey guys, been a while since I last visited this post. I have read all of your ideas and tried many of them with varying success. Thank you all for your time and for your help.
The art of creativity is knowing how to make crafts with the tools that you have.