New welders

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

big_i11580

New welders

Post by big_i11580 »

So I hit a home run last week. There was an online auction near me that had 3 TIG welders listed. I went to take a look at them, and put a bid on one. I also noticed another that wasn't listed. After talking with the auctioneer, I got the unlisted one for $600. It was the Miller Dialarc. It runs on 240V single phase. The one I bid on I let go since I got the other one. The auction ended and no one bid on the other 3. Auctioneer calls me up and asks if I want another one. He said I'll give you a deal. Got the Lincoln ideal arc for $400. My question now is which to keep?
big_i11580

Re: New welders

Post by big_i11580 »

Both come with foot pedals, both are air cooled. Lincoln is on a cart, have one gas regulator between the two, but I think I have a spare. Anyone ran either of them? What did you think?
Attachments
Miller
Miller
Lincoln
Lincoln
JackF

Post by JackF »

I have a old, 1985, Lincoln 300 Idealarc and love it. I have no experience with miller. If they both work, do some identical welding with both and see which you like best. If you use the high settings for steel or especially aluminum you will want a cooler and cooled torch. BTW I am not a welder, just a hobbyist.

Jack.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Without using them I would keep the Miller... That being said I do have a strong preference for Miller. I think Jack has the right idea, though. Make sure all the functions work on both and try them out. If you don't know enough about welding to do that find a buddy, friend of a friend, or, if you don't know any welders; stand poised with a box in hand and stick a six pack on the sidewalk, when a welder stops to pick up the six pack that's when you spring into action and catch him with the box!

They are competing machines and, when new, the only question to ask would be which colour goes best with you shop decor. They should both last equally as long, all things being the same.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Same Miller as mine, love it. I have not had another, this is My first TIG. Can't rate it against another.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

I'd go with the Miller.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Both are good machines. I have the twin to the Lincoln bought new over 30 years ago. Welded tons of aluminum with it along with steels, stainless, copper, brass, and iron. Still going never had any problem with the machine, use it almost daily. Only thing I ever did was to add the auxiliary 120V outlet and the small transformer to power it. That was an easy DIY and cost about $100 15 years ago. The outlet is nice it runs a 4 gallon water cooler and a small bench grinder for the tungsten.
All features equal maybe determine which one is newer, which one will sell for more in your area.
Ernie F.
big_i11580

Post by big_i11580 »

What plug did everyone use with these two? Both pull between 75-100amps when running standard single phas 220/240vac. The standard 50 amp plug commonly used for lincoln arc welders aren't rated that high, duh. Also what gauge wire cords did you use. The Lincoln has this gigantic aluminum plug that has to be 8 inches long and 3 inches in diameter.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

My machine (Lincoln 300/300) is hard wired directly to the disconnect, so there's no plug involved. That can be an acceptable solution.

Consult the manual for the proper sized wire, reflecting the length you hope to use. Longer runs demand larger wire.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Ditto Harold. Mine was hardwired in the old shop and I plan on doing the same in the new shop. However this time I will use a long cord of 4 gage as I want to be able to move the welder around on casters to the work. Often times I can't move the work to the welder and my 12' torch won't reach.

Jack.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I used this combination on my Miller Syncrowave 250. Its rated 100 amps @ 250vac. You can find them cheaper. I mounted the receptacle in a jbox.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUBBELL-HBL4100 ... 1922934274

Jim B
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

rrnut-2 wrote:Its rated 100 amps @ 250vac. You can find them cheaper. I mounted the receptacle in a jbox.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUBBELL-HBL4100 ... 1922934274

Jim B
big_i11580 wrote:The Lincoln has this gigantic aluminum plug that has to be 8 inches long and 3 inches in diameter.
These sound like similar plugs, and are what I've seen used in shops that don't have the machines hard wired in.