Oxy Acetylene hoses

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveM

Oxy Acetylene hoses

Post by SteveM »

Are 1/4" hoses large enough for Oxy Acetylene?

I have my dad's torches and tanks, although I have not used them yet. The hoses that came with them have cracks in them, so I will be replacing them.

Someone is offering me a set of brand new American-made 25' hoses that are 1/4" for a good price (actually, for less than Harbor Freight hoses).

Is that big enough, or should I get larger?

Only looking at brazing small stuff - probably stuff you could fit in your had, or at worst, pick up easily.

What kind of fittings do I need to have on them? I have a pair of B tanks and also a spare A acetylene tank.

Steve
warmstrong1955

Re: Oxy Acetylene hoses

Post by warmstrong1955 »

1/4" is the most common. Even at 50' long, plenty good enough to use a #4 cutting tip, or even a large rosebud, assuming you have a big enough acetylene bottle.
I have 1/4" x 25' hoses on my set now.
I use 3/16" x 15' on my backpack torch. Easier to wrangle, and plenty enough flow for #1 cutting tips etc.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks.
Carm

Post by Carm »

Yep, 1/4 is fine for 25' of your stated use. It's nice to have a 10' or so of 3/16" at the user end, like Bill said.
Definitely get some flashback arrestors on the user end, too. Some O/A quick connects have them built in, and are an OSHA requirement for commercial/site work.
You probably won't need a repair kit, but they are pretty cheap and have fittings, ferrules and crimper for the common sizes. Some people aren't careful about where the flame/slag/dingleberries go.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I was working on my bus in a workshop in rural India, when I heard the boys all shouting.
I looked out the bus window and saw everyone running out of the shop in panic; an acetylene hose was on fire, and it was burning rapidly back towards the tank.
They'd never even heard of a flashback arrestor, but they had heard that the tank would blow.
I didn't want to surrender my bus, and I had a pair of good American made vice-grips handy. I ran out and used them to pinch off the hose.
Those flashback arrestors only cost a few bucks; I promised I'd bring them one next time I went there, but I never did.
softtail

Post by softtail »

A bit more money, but Kevlar hoses are game changing if you braze with any regularity. I will never go back to standard hoses if I can help it.