Heating and bending metal. Need advise

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Vette

Heating and bending metal. Need advise

Post by Vette »

I am needing more information about what I am about to do. I have a piece of 30" pipe I am needing to make a loose fit collar for it. I plan to bend a 1 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick flat stock around the 30" pipe with a loose finish fit 1/2" maximum play. When complete it must be free of 30" pipe. I plan on tacking end of flat stock to 30" and use rosebud heating flat stock to red and bending around 30". At completion cutting flat stock where I started. Tack weld or clamp end let it cool cut tack weld ends together call it a day I hope. Any advice is welcome as I am not sure if my plan will work.
f350ca

Re: Heating and bending metal. Need advise

Post by f350ca »

You'll get it around the pipe that way but the bend may not be real smooth, a little too much heat here and there and that section will bend more than beside it. If you can get access to a slip roll and bend it cold you'll get a far smoother bend.

Greg
Vette

Post by Vette »

Well i sure am looking for a smoother bend than what you are describing. I may need to rethink and check in to this roll machine. I am new to this forum..Thanks ......Information is power.....
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

1/4" 1-1/2" around 30" diameter pipe, I'd bend cold, by hand.
tack weld one end as you said, then just start pulling.
the last few inches is tough, it's much easier if you have spare material that you cut off afterwards.
You may need to weld a lever on the free and to get it where you want it to go.
This sort of bend won't be as smooth as a rolled one, but with 1/2" play it will be fine.
you can always hammer it a little if you have to.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

If you dont follow the notion of bending it yourself, most any fab shop of any size has a set of slip rolls that can do a bang up job in about 5 minutes of work time. Have done this many times, for very nominal fees. Sometimes just a bag of good coffee.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

I was building a tractor driven snow blower and needed smooth curves for the blower housing so built this one. Knowing it would be used for other things I built it heavy, the rolls are 13 inch long, I've rolled 5/16 plate 12in wide with it.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JXv9 ... G_0883.jpg

Greg
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Nice!
I'm semi-planning to build one as well.
I used to use the one at the shipyard across from where I lived; the shipyard closed down but the power was still on, and I still went over with my boat to use the machine. So quick and easy...
they ripped all the big stuff out of there and made a little marina for little boats.
In the meantime, I'm wrapping strip around a piece of pipe!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

f350ca wrote: Knowing it would be used for other things I built it heavy, the rolls are 13 inch long,
Nice!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.