ideas on how to make this?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

marcofsiny

ideas on how to make this?

Post by marcofsiny »

I'm not sure what section this falls under but I figured it would go here because it needs a metal to metal join.
I'd like to try brazing some things and this looks like it would be a great project since my part seen better days. I'm trying to figure out how they made this as I would want mine to look just like this one. To me ,,,it seems they might have split the thinner tube then flattened it and made the shape. Was it welded or brazed? How would one go about recreating this fitting. The thinner tube is thicker than a pencil.
warmstrong1955

Re: ideas on how to make this?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Depends on what kind of equipment you have.

I would guess that it was silver soldered. That's the purpose of the flat. The two parts are sweat together.
If welded, you don't need the flat.

Past recreating the small tube to original, and sweating them together.....

If you have a TIG welder, it's apiece of cake. This would be the best way, and what I would do/have done. You can also weld on some beads for the hose connections, if you don't have a bead roller.
(looks small....my bead roller is only good to about 1-1/4" tube)

Oxy-Acetylene welded....same as above, but will take some additional grinding/sanding/polishing to make it presentable.

Brazing....would also work, but least strong compare to welding. Also....less presentable. Paint will cover many ills.

Welding or brazing, the hardest part will be filling the inside of the angle. Easier with TIG.....less so with oxy-acetylene welding or brazing.
All do-able though.

Just a few thoughts.
:D
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

If the large piece is solid, I would drill and set the small pipe in, then graze or weld or even thread and Locktite.
Easier to drill a hole than shaping the pipe by hand.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
marcofsiny

Post by marcofsiny »

the larger tube is hollow. I should have given more info...this is for the coolant of a car engine from the block to the heater core.
I dont have any welding equipment but I figured I could try brazing or maybe silver soldering if it uses those portable mapp or propane tanks.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Drill, then with a file angle the hole fort a good fit with the small tube. This will give two larger surfaces one internal and the other external to the large tube. The flap may have been convenient to the manufacturing process but is not necessary with a "poke through method". Any part of the small tube protruding inside can be filed flush after brazing, however I doubt it make a difference in this case.
You can braze with a regular MAPP torch, if you think you need more heat build a small "cavern" out of "light" fire bricks not the dense one that sink heat away. Of course a bigger torch with a BBQ tank give heat to spare.
Make a wire C spring, noting fancy, to keep the two pipes mated and at tight angle.
Silver Soldering is done with a low Silver alloy 5%. Here we are talking about Silver Brazing with more than 45% Silver at ~1700F.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
marcofsiny

Post by marcofsiny »

I think I understand what you're saying. I was thinking it might be easier to cut a seam in the small tube, pry it open and try hammering it flat, then hammer it on a similar size (large) pipe to get the shape of the larger curve. That looks like it would give the best surface area contact but I dont see how to do the crotch section. On the original it almost looks like it is rolled a tiny bit.
Also,,,this is a very old part and not available any longer.
Carm

Post by Carm »

I wouldn't weld that joint unless it is completely stress free, including vibration.
Acute laterals have a tendency to crack in the crotch, and that is also the hardest place to access.
Ample surface area makes a strong brazed/soldered connection.

Upset the end of the small tube to make it thicker before you split and shape.
marcofsiny

Post by marcofsiny »

ok,I was thinking of heating it up to shape it easier and maybe stop some cracks that might form. Can you explain what you mean by "upset the end to make it thicker". how do i do that?
Carm

Post by Carm »

Upsetting usually uses a red heat.
Hold the part perpendicular to the anvil (or whatever striking surface available) and rapidly tap the other end.
You want the metal to pile onto itself, not bulge out, but that might help you too.
marcofsiny

Post by marcofsiny »

ahh ,,,i was thinking of something like that just wasnt sure if it would work. Thanks for the tips!!! hopefully I'll be trying this very soon.