Welding Helmet Advice

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Welding Helmet Advice

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I agree Steve....
I wish I had a nickel for all the times I've flopped my regular hood down, and struck an arc, with the lenz flipped up.
Or, when welding, and struck an arc accidentally. Murphy's Laws say that when that happens, you will be looking directly at the arc. Wait a minute so the big blue dot you see goes away....and get back at it.
It's not like you don't notice you forgot to put your hood on, or the batteries went dead, or whatever else it is.

I can still see.... my cornias haven't been fried.
I have a Speedglas, genuine ANSI Z87.1, and a K-T cheapie, no ANSI approval on it. No problems with either.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

Is this the place to ask about my helmet? When these auto darkening became affordable I bought a HTP Striker Ultra. There are controls inside for Delay, Sensitivity, Shade. It is powered by two AAA batteries. An internal section is removed to change the glass shade plate. I'm wondering if this is a Bad one now. I thought it was super.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I don't own a Striker, but plenty of my guys did.
Those are a good helmet, and well built.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Back to the original topic. Ambient light from behind you and reflecting off the lens will degrade your ability to see the puddle. Try not to mweld with a strong light behind you. I borrowed a Speedglas helmet with a fabric hood that covered the back of my head. There is a big difference what you can see with the hood vs without it.
spro

Post by spro »

That's darn good advise John. Can you or someone recommend a fire resistant fabric suitable for this? I had been thinking leather but I mostly weld when it hot in my shops without A/C.
Thanks Bill.