Hi-Freq & AC stick & TIG Torch for aluminum?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Hi-Freq & AC stick & TIG Torch for aluminum?

Post by steamin10 »

Weell, from one putz to another, I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I do. I got thrown out of industry some 6-8 yrs ago, and never looked back. I am officially disabled, having leg and hip problems, but the brain says 19 even if the body fails. As for an argument,, no experience or information is limitless. On a board such as this, wrong ideas are quickly called to task, and information made accurate. All the better. i encourage lively discussion an any subject, even bad examples, as the accumulated knowledge shared here, and insights to applications, and problem solving has many roads. Many have artificial limits due to economic or other factors unseen by writers, but nuggets of fair information, none the less.

Thanks for the uneeded apology, as we like to keep the board friendly and informative. You are more than welcome to share your thoughts, and experiences with the members here, as a good many are young lurkers, and can use the codger advice from experienced like you. Welding is not my strongest skill as stated, but I have used torch and stick since an old child. Most notable, the building of the 'Maytag flyer'. At age 14 or so, these three buds got together and built a sidecar for an Excelsior bicycle. A tube frame, boat engine cover, turned upside down for the tub, and a working Maytag motor, and we cruised the town. Some called us genius, and others terrorists, but it sure was fun. Between working in steel mills, running power boats, and racing muscle cars, my experience is near unbelievable, but looking back, i would not change anything except my first marriage. OK, some other things could have been better. But that is living in the past. I seek my new adventures and new friends. Carry on. What projects are you persuing at this time.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

Boy, we are darn near twins. Kicked out of the trade myself when recouping from shoulder surgery during a hiring freeze, best thing that ever happened to me, forced retirement!

My Maytag Flyer was a twin cylinder kick start on a 2x12 plank chug that was steered by foot. Muscle cars ranged from Mustang to 55 Chev Pickup with 425 HP 409. My "starter wife" didn't work out either, but I really got lucky the second time around.

Current project is putting a Yanmar 4cyl diesel in a Suzuki Sidekick. It is my second diesel conversion, the 1st being a Cat diesel in a S-10. I grow my own oilseed (camalina) and press my own fuel, not 100% but a fun and interesting hobby.

Glad to make a new friend and hope I can contribute some "old hand" knowledge to this forum. Apologies to the OP , hope this isn't construed as a hijack.

Take care and enjoy life.
BlackStack

Post by BlackStack »

If you are still looking for High Frequency attachment, have you seen or considered the Arc Pig?

http://www.arcpig.com/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmNMVdmNIU0
BlackStack -- Just blowin' smoke.
spro

Post by spro »

I just watched the video from Mr. Tig The Arc Pig seems to be fine. Thanks for that link! There is more about this thread which is fine in many ways.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I am not into gizmos, having bought my share of snake oils over time, but I watched the vids for the PIG and the buzz box
with DC. This guy makes it look so easy. Brazing with a gas torch has been my window into TIG for heat control and sight picture, as if you cant see it, you cant do it. The hand motions are easier to learn to get the dimes in a row effect when pushing the puddle along. That comes with time.

His demo with DC is exactly what I said could not be done. My teachings told me there would be no cleaning action, and the weld would be full of pins, bubbles and oxides, making for poor weld practice.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Kinda on a short budget, (been there) and not looking at really thin material, looks to be an inexpensive alternative, gizmo or not.

It is an improvement over my old Linde I had....at least it has a button to turn on/off the HF. Be easy enough to make a foot pedal, for HF & gas too, like I did.
The Linde, when you hit the toggle, it was on.....look out....

Interesting smoke there BlackStack!

;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

My TIG lead is set up with a toggle to thumb on/off a solenoid for the gas. it is dead simple, but cheap.. As stated i use welding gas For Tig and 01% Oxy over Argon for aluminum wire. Argon pops too much by itself.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

The only time I've had any popping problem when TIG welding aluminum, is when it's dirty, or oily, or corroded.
Most especially oily. Cracked 855 Cummins oil pans, can be a challenge lemmee tell ya.
I use straight argon. Always have. Your results obviously vary!

We are all creatures of habit. I'm used to a foot pedal. When I didn't have one, I made one. I've used a few TIG setups with a button......it's like operatin' a Bobcat.....my feet don't run a bucket either. ;)

:)
Bill
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I can't say that I have ever had aluminum pop when welding it and have always used straight Argon.

I used to keep a button on the torch in case I needed to get into awkward positions, but have always managed to use the pedal with my foot, or knee, or have someone else mash it for me.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

When I says 'Pops too much', the arc is not a smooth bacon fry sound. It literally has a crackle that is different. When I asked at the weld store, thinking, I had a machine problem, they forwarded me a bottle of 1/0, that is what I use now. It ran much finer, and smoother to me. But like all Argon, they charge a small fortune for it.

My future with welding may be short now, as my vision is down to 20/50 with cataracts, so I dont know what the future brings.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

GlennW wrote: I used to keep a button on the torch in case I needed to get into awkward positions, but have always managed to use the pedal with my foot, or knee, or have someone else mash it for me.
Back when I first bought that Linde HF unit, and before I built the foot pedal, there were some things that were welded requiring two people!
One to weld, the other to flip the switch.
Get ready.....flop down the hood...and say GO!

Bill
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

steamin10 wrote:When I says 'Pops too much', the arc is not a smooth bacon fry sound. It literally has a crackle that is different. When I asked at the weld store, thinking, I had a machine problem, they forwarded me a bottle of 1/0, that is what I use now. It ran much finer, and smoother to me. But like all Argon, they charge a small fortune for it.

My future with welding may be short now, as my vision is down to 20/50 with cataracts, so I dont know what the future brings.
Well....new one on me....huh.....

I know lots of people that have had cataracts removed....and they were all in WOW mode afterwards. "Shudda done that years ago!" kinda thing.
Like new eyes, and most of 'em barely need glasses after some time to recover!

Bill