How Bad Will TIG Fry my Hide?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: How Bad Will TIG Fry my Hide?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Good Steve!
You won't have to mount four white canes with a red tips on the ends of your bumpers on your pickup!

If you ever get arc flash, trust me, you will know. If you want to feel the sensation, just pull your eyelids back, and pour in some sand. Closest thing I can describe as to what it feels like. Only hurts to open your eyes....or close them.....
(Bet Glenn knows)

;)
Last edited by warmstrong1955 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I can't find anything that says why they say "some" of the UV B from welding reaches the skin.
I can not say what the writer was thinking but the UV B emission is in all directions, but your body subtend only a fraction of the full solid angle, some radiation will hit some bird, the dog, and the shrubs.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Today I TIGed in a cotton dress shirt over a dark T-shirt, but I am planning to get a jacket tomorrow.

What do people think of cloth jackets? Leather looks ideal for protection, but it's hot here.

I didn't like the leather bibs I found on Amazon, so I ordered a rectangular piece of suede. I'm planning to put four small holes in my hood and attach the suede with short screws and washers. The leather arrived, and it looks okay.

I'm still not comfortable with the UV. Even when I put the helmet on correctly, a little crack opens up once in a while at the bottom, and light reflects up at me off the light purple shirt I wear. I guess I'm getting paranoid.

Today I read that MIG is actually worse than TIG. Not sure what to believe. I've been very casual with MIG, with no problems.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Good Steve!
You won't have to mount four white canes with a red tips on the ends of your bumpers on your pickup!

If you ever get arc flash, trust me, you will know. If you want to feel the sensation, just pull your eyelids back, and pour in some sand. Closest thing I can describe as to what it feels like. Only hurst to open your eyes....or close them.....
(Bet Glenn knows)

;)
Hot sand. H O T sand. No question you've sunburned your eyeballs....

Pete
Just tryin'
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Steve,

For TIG, I like light weight clothing, dark in color. That's all you need.
So, normally....just a long sleeve cotton shirt.
If it's cold, I do have a cotton jacket.
Major welding, like a bucket rebuild or something overhead, leather.
MIG is generally worse than TIG, but that's mostly just a matter of higher amps.

Get one of these for your hood. I've been using them for many years:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L19POC/re ... PPGJLWQI4E

Easy to get adjusted to using them.

:)
Bill
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Today I managed to run something that sort of resembled a bead on flat metal. I have to learn to quit melting the rod with the arc.

I tried to continue my fillet project without filler, to get used to the torch and pedal, but it seems like an autogenous fillet weld does not like to cooperate when the metal has been beveled. The arc did not want to go into that super-tight corner.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Quit the beveling and just try to fuse two pieces of metal together. Butt weld or fillet weld.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

GlennW wrote:Quit the beveling and just try to fuse two pieces of metal together. Butt weld or fillet weld.

Yeah!
That's what I said! And watch & learn the puddle, and how to control it!

:)
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Maybe I can dig up some appropriate steel tomorrow so I can get another session in. I feel like I should go get some sheet metal. Something that doesn't come covered with scale.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The first lesson in TIG welding is the metal can't be too clean.

That means...no scale.

Scale can't wait to jump up and contaminate the electrode.

Get some pickled sheet or cold rolled flat.

Edit:
Well, that's actually the second lesson, as the first lesson is not to touch the electrode with the filler rod when welding, but that;s self correcting...

My avatar demonstrates the result.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

Check out this website.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig ... ideos.html

Most of his videos are mirrored on YouTube as well. You have to dig a little but the information is there on how to become more adept at TIG.

HJ
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

GlennW wrote:Quit the beveling and just try to fuse two pieces of metal together. Butt weld or fillet weld.
That's precisely why I suggested running practice beads on a piece of metal. No need for a gap, or for two pieces. I piece of 1/8" mild steel, no scale, is great for the purpose.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.