Controlling Heavier TIG Filler Rod

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderators: Harold_V, Scott

SteveHGraham

Controlling Heavier TIG Filler Rod

Post by SteveHGraham » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm back at the welding table today. Problem: I have no problems controlling a 1/16" filler rod, but a 3/32" rod loves to wobble because of the greater weight. This is particularly true when the rod is new, because it's longer, heavier, and has more leverage.

Is there a secret to overcoming this, or is it just a matter or practice?

Things are getting better. The welds are still not straight, but they look better, and I got myself a real jacket. I'm not dipping the tungsten in the weld any more, but I did get the filler rod stuck once. Man, it heats right up!
Don't trigger me, bro!

warmstrong1955

Re: Controlling Heavier TIG Filler Rod

Post by warmstrong1955 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Swack 'em in half with a pair of side cutters.

The little leftover pieces, I weld 'em on to longer pieces.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.

10KPete

Post by 10KPete » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:14 pm

What Bill said!!!

Pete
Just tryin'

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Slick!

Now if I can stop roasting the glove on my left hand...
Don't trigger me, bro!

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:39 pm

You can use a piece of wood or metal to rest your pinky on, instead of the work.
Easy enough to move the block along as you weld.
I have an assortment of blocks, steel & timber, in my TIG welding area. Timber is better, as it doesn't absorb the heat.

Bill

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:54 pm

Don't you start the wood smoking? Am I the only one who gets the workpiece really hot?
Don't trigger me, bro!

STRR

Post by STRR » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:56 pm

Steve,

Go to Welding Tips and Tricks . com. Get a TIG finger from Jody. You'll love it, I promise. Jody also has a whole bunch of videos on YouTube. A whole lot of great education there. User: welding tips and tricks.

Good Luck,
Terry

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Thanks. I do have a TIG Finger, but I am roasting the LEFT glove with radiant heat from the work. I think I'm getting the glove too close because I'm not extending the filler enough.

I found an interesting TIG shield that holds two fingers, like a TIG Finger XL, and it also has a wrist attachment to keep it from falling off and rolling under the table, which is something the TIG Finger did about 93 times today.
Don't trigger me, bro!

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:09 pm

SteveHGraham wrote:Don't you start the wood smoking? Am I the only one who gets the workpiece really hot?
If it's too close, of course.
So....don't put it so close. It's a matter of setup.
If it has to be close, use a block of steel....and if it's a lot of welding, have a couple of blocks if one gets too hot.

:)

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:16 pm

FYI, I use wooden blocks all the time for MIG & stick welding too.
Besides keeping my hand away from the heat, it makes it easier to get to the right angle & position.
Being comfortable is very important.

Bill

10KPete

Post by 10KPete » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:53 pm

Even back when I was young and didn't shake like a hard tail Harley I always used blocks, sticks, chunks, whatever, to position the work and me to best advantage. But I don't recall ever having the feed hand problem you're describing. Keep 6 to 8 inches of filler out past your fingers, at minimum. Even welding aluminum at very high amps (250-350) a foot of rod keeps the hand pretty safe from burning. Also don't be afraid to use a heavy glove on that hand for heavier work. Those nice thin feeley gloves are only intended for the lighter work. For most TIG work I use the cowhide truckers driving gloves. Wells-Lamont is a name that springs to mind..... For the heavier work, good heavy stick welding gloves are great.

Pete
Just tryin'

BadDog

Post by BadDog » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Like others said, hand bracing, I use it all the time (even MIG when doing important/delicate work). And positioning of course. But a huge thing that has helped me is the use of the high temp knit gloves. Ov-Glove(sp?) is a common brand, but I got another brand that has a higher rating. I first got them when I was taking a forged steel class with my son. Normal welding gloves were too heavy and cumbersome, and the lighter leather gloves (driving or roping) I had previously used for light TIG were not up to the heat by any means. So I got those and loved them for the forge, and they don't interfere with manual dexterity (or lack thereof) when doing delicate work with TIG. I also have a TIG finger, but rarely use it unless I'm trying to improve my (nearly non-existent) aluminum skills, and in fact haven't used it since getting the knit gloves.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper