More TIG Progress

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

More TIG Progress

Post by SteveHGraham »

Yesterday I saw a Welding Tips & Tricks video on lap joints, and the big cheese (Jody) used 1/16" filler instead of 3/32". I decided to try it.

The results were better than last time. I now think I can tell people I can TIG weld with a straight face. I may not be able to do much, but I can put two pieces of bar together.

I had an issue where the weld popped for no apparent reason, as if I had buried the tungsten. I'm pretty sure that was not always the case. Wondering if it's possible for a glob of impurity to cause that. It could be that I buried the tungsten without realizing it, but usually, that's pretty obvious.
Attachments
05 28 17 TIG practice 01 steel small.jpg
05 28 17 TIG practice 02 steel small.jpg
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Re: More TIG Progress

Post by GlennW »

SteveHGraham wrote:Wondering if it's possible for a glob of impurity to cause that.
That can (will) happen when you seal up a cavity such as welding a cube closed or caps on a piece of tubing.

Always leave a little spot open so it can vent and then come back and hit it hard and fast to weld it closed after the rest of the welding is completed.

I sometimes drill a 1/16" vent hole and then weld it up last.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!