welding aluminum intake manifolds with Hobart 210mvp spool gun

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

John R

welding aluminum intake manifolds with Hobart 210mvp spool gun

Post by John R »

I restore mid 50s to late 60s dual quad setups almost all of which were mounted on aluminum intake manifolds from the factory. Occasionally I get an intake which needs a little help and have always taken them to a prop service where they tig weld aluminum every day. I am thinking about buying a Hobart 210mvp and their matching spool gun and doing these repairs myself. I have always done the after welding machining and/or die grinding so that isn't a factor.

I've been stick welding for over 30 years and gas mig welding more than 20 years, but never on aluminum.

Does anyone here have any experience welding old aluminum with a spool gun? I do not want to get into tig I'm 72 and not interested in the learning curve involved.
juiceclone

Re: welding aluminum intake manifolds with Hobart 210mvp spool gun

Post by juiceclone »

We're in the same boat. U can do it, but practice on junk first. Personally,I don't like mig because u need to get all the settings just right for a certain joint and thickness and metal, and then u can weld that perfect all day...just that... Change anything, like a curve or thickness and it's not really good anymore. When I have to deal with cracks in cases (motorcycle) I usually go with the "alumaweld" type stuff and an ox/acet torch. It's like soldering or brazing I guess, but once u get familiar with whatever ur using it goes pretty good. The stuff has a lower melting point than the aluminum alloys, so there is a little forgiveness in the heating, but be careful, or the whole spot just melts away. Found "scratching" the rod on the metal as ur heating seems to give u a feel for where the temp is and "tins" it like solder and it sticks ok after as long as u keep it somewhat quick. Did one case on a Triumph where u can't see where it was repaired after smoothing and polishing. Good luck!! :>)
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Done relatively little of each, but I would opt for the TIG in your situation. if you do not want the face the learning curve, then stay with the prop shop.
John R

Post by John R »

Well I bit the bullet and bought a Lincoln Square Wave Tig 200. Now I've got to learn how to use it. I'm watching lots and lots of Jody's videos and am going to get started today or tomorrow. I went ahead and rewarded myself with a Power Mig 210 MP too. I've got two old cheap Sears welders for sale cheap locally; I'm near Beaumont, Texas.
100_4629.JPG
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

John R wrote:I'm watching lots and lots of Jody's
I assume you mean this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

Steve
John R

Post by John R »

That's him I really enjoy his expertise, advice, and comments. There are plenty of others but IMO he is the best.