Welding, eyes and sight

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Welding, eyes and sight

Post by warmstrong1955 »

As I have said before, the term 'common sense'.....is a misnomer.

The term should be uncommon sense.

;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

The phrase I've heard for decades is "Common sense isn't all that common."

Possessing a PhD means you passed most of the tests that were administered, wrote a reasonably good dissertation and didn't do anything to upset the professors. The PhD doesn't confer wisdom and/or common sense.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
juiceclone

Post by juiceclone »

re: cataracts, most people in the US get cataracts in the left eye first/more....the sun coming in drivers window !!
I wonder if the opposite is the case in the UK or wherever driver position is reversed. Going to have my lenses replaced soon....yup left much worse !
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

juiceclone wrote:re: cataracts, most people in the US get cataracts in the left eye first/more....the sun coming in drivers window !!
I wonder if the opposite is the case in the UK or wherever driver position is reversed. Going to have my lenses replaced soon....yup left much worse !
The cataract in my right eye was markedly worse than the one in the left. Unfortunately, a post-surgery complication developed with the left eye and now it is the weak one.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Diogenes on the hill

Post by Diogenes on the hill »

Heinlein quote time.
PhD. Piled higher and Deeper.

In one of the production shops I worked, we had a guy who refused to use a hood or any other PPE. He'd just close his eyes for long fillets and call it good. His welds were good, amazingly. After 8 months, he had to quit because the UV burns on his face wouldn't heal up. Looked like the top of a three meat pizza. Why the management didnt let him go before the damage was done, I'll never know, but they fought like tigers to not pay workmens comp (nor do I blame them in this case.)
Stupid questions remain silent. So speak up.
Patio

Post by Patio »

This You Tuber is not everyone's cup of tea, because of his language, but the info is good.
AVE; Welding helmets, cheap vs. expensive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDG9Mb2O3Ec
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

He's amazing. It took him 20 seconds to say something gross.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

I am an old fart who just got cataracts removed from both eyes. As a farm boy I did some dumb welding stunts with that old red tombstone. Yep, just turn your head so the light doesn't get too bright and look through your eyelids! Then there were the summers life-guarding without hat or sun glasses.

"age related" cataracts removed and new lenses in place. Seeing better than I have in decades in a much brighter world. Protect your eyes folks.... you only get two.