Bought an Everlast 255EXT welder

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

BClemens

Bought an Everlast 255EXT welder

Post by BClemens »

The shipping crate arrived and we set the welder up with the water cooler (additional purchase) after modifying a cart to hold the machine, cooler and argon bottle.
All set; plugged it in to a 220 outlet on a 40 Amp breaker - power it up and BAM! breaker blew.... one more try - BAM! again. So we called Everlast. They said up the amperage on the breaker - so a 50 amp was installed: BIgger BAM! They sent a return lable..... a new welder arrived the day after we shipped the BAM machine so they had immediately shipped a replacement. The second one has been a jewel.

There is a learning curve to setting up the machine to do what you want but when set correctly it is smooth as silk to weld with. I TIG mostly and aluminum was welded first since the AC TIG was what I needed the most. I used to have a Lincoln 300/300 years ago and it was a workhorse but a massive machine. It was basically 'turn it on, set polarity, open the argon valve and weld' - sine wave only. The Everlast has sine, triangular, square, and 'advanced square waves' and varying pulse widths and frequency (20 to 250 Hz), AC balance, and many, many more settings. But; it has a 9 settings memory - (handy for quick set-up but that takes a note pad to remember which one is being recalled). It is supplied with an air cooled and a water cooled torch with long sleeved leads...(if you intend to weld much aluminum the water cooling is a must). They supply you with enough torch consumables to get you going too - but you will need more depending on what you're going to do with the machine. All of the torch stuff is readily available from them or a local welding supply, the torches are industry standard. You're going to need to get to know that local weld supply because you're going to need the cover gas bottle - argon; argon/C02 or whatever. We leased rather than purchased - with the acetlyene, oxygen (you gotta have an oxy/acetylene torch outfit) and argon - it is about $150 per year with the first fill...that will depend on the outfit you deal with - shop around if you can.

The machine is intended to be portable (about 85 lbs) and is dual voltage with an adapter to use it on 120 vac. Comes with foot control, flow regulator a ground lead (too short), and a stick welding torch. You can take it outside on a heavy cord and stick weld all day long with it.

It isn't red and it isn't blue (it is almost John Deer green!) but it welds beautifully both TIG and stick; AC or DC. We are very happy with it and the water cooler too - it's a keeper. For $2500 ($450 more for the cooler) - it will do just fine.
BC
BadDog

Re: Bought an Everlast 255EXT welder

Post by BadDog »

Nice. I had read good reviews on that unit for several years, and considered buying one. Also considered ESAB. But unlike when I was building my rock crawlers, my needs were no longer large enough to justify the cost (even given my normal overly generous estimations). Eventually before the desire for a capable TIG unit sufficiently slanted my estimation of "need", I stumbled on the Sync 351 I currently have, and that ended the junkie urges. Machine is like new, and is more than even my slanted views will ever exceed, but I do sometimes miss the options I would have had with a machine like yours. Might have helped offset my skill deficiencies... :oops:
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
BClemens

Re: Bought an Everlast 255EXT welder

Post by BClemens »

BadDog wrote: Might have helped offset my skill deficiencies... :oops:
Or - as in this case: emphasize the skill dificiencies. Welding took on a more scientific approach with this machine rather than being just a guy with a TIG torch. I was certified years ago for TIG and stick (that cost a small fortune) but being in business lost its glamor to me so I got a job. That was with basic transformer type machine welding. Anyhow, I miss all the 'stuff' I had back then so have been trying to build that shop I had back then back up - I felt like I could make anything I could think of back then - and did for the most part. Then I sold it all and went to work for the government.....(they had been running the business anyhow).

BC