Materials Rack

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Re: Materials Rack

Post by spro »

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/131019625 ... /s1000.jpg

This link displays nothing. Not worth clicking.
H
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Can you please explain the point?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

Yes. That link did not go anywhere but I wanted to modify it. The link showed two sections of what were pipe, rounds and stock storage racks. I guess "the point" was to alert others about these castings. If you see one, look for two or more. I can't tell you who or where someone explores a scrap pile but this old cast iron doesn't go down easy. These are great things and aren't getting any cheaper. Mine are holding several hundred lbs. for years. When I get a good link or picture, it will make sense.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

If you can find a functioning link, post it, then I'll move it to the previous post that goes nowhere.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks H. I didn't save the links to the ones I saw recently and now I can't find them. I know they are there. It is a matter of wording. Neither are same as mine. The "tree" style was made in Springfield Ohio. One section is insane expensive because it looks like a tree with lights hanging off it. Two dimensional iron tree. Okay whatever.
Back to the point of welding a rack. This is very important compared to a sturdy stand. If it is a rack, there isn't the vertical obstructions. You can weedle long sections out sideways. Also, when I think of it, the semi circular arms balance the load to were the section that you want, isn't compounded by pressure at the corner. Even if you find these castings, there may be welding involved. You could use cut-offs or anything to tie them together and space them to the wall. There isn't too much about these because they rely upon the same engineering. The lower arms are longer and the length tapers to the top. The top weight counters the lower due to the mount axis.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Spro, got any pics? Iam generally familiar with what you describe, but would like to see some closeup of the castings - how they form the upturned arms.

I still need to do something to get my stack of long pieces off the floor. What you describe might work with some kind of narrow rectangular frame, I can place behind my lathe - long and skinney storage in the dead space underneath my taper attachment. Maybe some baskets on the end to hold shorts/rounds/end scraps.

Thanks,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
spro

Post by spro »

I have been somewhat consumed by the recent Massacre in Nevada. I haven't mentioned it here because there are distinct political overtones.
Then back to an antique rack system. It isn't that anybody can find them but some can look or stumble across these sections. I did take some pictures of mine but was hoping a link to similar would work.
In welding a similar rack, the gullets are formed by semi circular formed plate or cut offs of larger steel tubing. Support gussets welded under them and to the frame section. Each section would be nearly exact and floor pads and wall pads welded + drilled.
Were it to be that someone here finds at least two of those old ones. The platform is then set to previous shape which worked.
While this seems old bologna, the circular hold means there is no "crotch" to pin a certain round. With a helper the stack can be rotated around for they are rolling within a circle. Whatever with different shapes but still the weight bears more evenly.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Spro, so do you mean the arms are circular in shape? Holding the steel stock in a circular stack?? I never thought of that! I could see that a circular shape allows you to 'turn' the lengths of steel over by pushing them off the edge and 'downhill' to the back side of the stack. Thus, sort of manually rotating the stack until you reach the piece you need.

Sometime, if you find photos, please post. Most interesting idea!
Thanks

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
spro

Post by spro »

You have the idea. I sort of defeated myself because of the other machines and stuff piled next to the rack. I have five of these iron holders and rounds at least 14' long piled into them. So I have to do some jostling at each end for it to work right. That's just me, not wanting to cut a long piece too short. If a person has lengths of 6'-8', two or three of these will serve fine.
spro

Post by spro »

I shouldn't have interjected into the discussion. Materials Rack was good enough.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

When I was really into the rock crawlers, I had frequent need of 20' lengths of tube stock, and bought most of my other structural stuff at that length as well. That stack of steel would have been a true nightmare to deal with on the floor. I had a big pile of commercial pallet racking that I bought for just a stupid low price at auction, then never used. So I cut about 1/3 of them up and made 1 10' section of cantilever shelves, and another 8' set. The notch/lip was turned inside and cutting up some 1/2" plywood provided shelving just 2' deep on top 2, and just over 2' on the bottom 3. Being cantilevered off rear uprights, they allowed placement of full 20' lengths on the bottom "shelves" (but without the plywood. The heaviest go on the bottom legs for stability. Just above that about 12" was a second set of short arms for lighter, but still not light stuff. And the top 2 short shelves had dog legs on the near surface to hold the really light stuff like 1/2" x 0.62 square, strap, and rods from 1/2" down.

I think that may be similar to 1/2 what spro describes, but made of weldments.

Longer cut lengths (below 8', see shelf lengths above) either stand in corners if still fairly long, or go on a horizontal rack underneath my fab table.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

These are remarkable versions of the "Materials Rack" . I cannot go past this without recommending Russ' description above. Reread; fresh as ever and how you could make a sturdy cantilevered rack. More than that.
So then I brushed past the OP ? No way ! I have made similar and they last. It was the opening of the topic. From this one topic, more examples are presented to us. Worst thing is a pile of rounds on the floor, especially damp concrete. All these options; contained uprights they all make sense.