Welding c-clamp??

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

discodan

Welding c-clamp??

Post by discodan »

I picked up this Wilton 1404 c clamp today. Must be for welding because of the shield plus the screw appears to be brass. Am I right? I saw some on the auction site but without the shield.
Attachments
20181220_212451.jpg
10KPete

Re: Welding c-clamp??

Post by 10KPete »

Yup.

Pete
Just tryin'
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

Used to use the brass screw c-clamps at work all the time for welding. Some were old and some brand new but none ever had the shield. That's a new one on me.
b4autodark
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I've seen them at welding suppliers years ago, but never bought any....or used any for that matter.
Not sure if they stlll make 'em, with stick welding out of vogue.
With a regular c-clamp, it's easy enough to hit the screw with anti-spatter spray. As long as you don't hit 'em with the end of a welding rod, all is well. If you do, a quick hit with a grinder will fix it.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Instead of brass I believe the screws are copper plated steel.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

For my standard welding jobs i use a combination of vice grips, welding grips, (by vice grip) regular Chinese C-clamps and my hoard of boiler clamps. If you dont know what boiler clamps are, they are cut from flat plate with a acrew for grip like a c-clamp on steroids. Oil or spatter spray, or graphite spray are all i use to keep things moving. Anti -sieze in copper works fine too. Just use anything sparingly so BBs' dont stick, and it doesnt migrate to the welding.

i use one of the boiler clamps to mash rivets on projects, with a small cup on the screw rotary filed in. Works fine.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Before autodark helmets got cheap enough for me to own one, I'd hold a part in one hand, close my eyes and tack by brail.