Help identify this welder

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Tom1948

Help identify this welder

Post by Tom1948 »

Can anyone identify this welder. No name on it.
Attachments
pic 1.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
choprboy

Re: Help identify this welder

Post by choprboy »

Looks like a SnapOn YA2xx auto shop welder that someone has made a new front panel for. Maybe a YA204 or YA218/219.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

choprboy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:57 pm Looks like a SnapOn YA2xx auto shop welder that someone has made a new front panel for. Maybe a YA204 or YA218/219.
Or it could be a Century unit. The general shape and configuration of the controls and cabinet suggest a 20th century Century unit. That would be prior to Century's acquisition by Lincoln Electric.

BTW, I have a 250 amp Century MIG welder that strongly resembles your unit's appearance, but with a slightly different control layout.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Yeah, I thought about Century, but the grey over black stripe is a very SnapOn look. Did Century actually make SnapOn's welders?
spro

Post by spro »

The other possibility is Kempi . One of the earlier inverter type. Made in Italy, originally. Complex circuit boards at the time. Originally a 3 phase machine , it would work with single phase 220v . ( it took a little doing ) but this must have been a horse of a welder. PowCom or golly can't remember others made copies of this welder. Even single phase 220v I welded lots of stuff with MIG large reels from that unit.
The penetration was good because the control circuitry didn't rely upon 3 phase nor did the wire feed unit.
Tom1948

Post by Tom1948 »

Thanks guys, appreciate the help....Tom
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Yes, Century did make the Snap-On Welders. Any parts that I need for mine, YA212, come from Century.

Jim B