I can't see my work

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

clocker2

I can't see my work

Post by clocker2 »

I just did quite a bit of welding this morning, both stick and mig. I am frustrated because I can't quite see what I am welding and feel that I could do a better job if I could only SEE what I am doing. I am currently using the hand held face shield that came with my Linclon Mig 150 amp welder. What can I do to see my work better without going blind? What number lens do you guys use? Thanks. Jeff
sergi

get a real hood

Post by sergi »

just having the plain welding hood over your face cuts out most of the glare that is keeping your eyes fron being able to see through the lense.

if you really want to be spoiled, get an autoshade hood. you'll love it. even if you have to eat macaroni and ramen noodles for a month you wont regret it.
Lee

Re: I can't see my work

Post by Lee »

Yeah a regular welding helmet will eliminate the light from the sides allowing you to see through the lens. Handelds have thier place, but it's usualy on the shelf or in the yard sale. I never used mine. If you are stick or mig welding you can go with a #10 lens and you should be fine. #11-12 are more for tig welding. I don't advise using a #9 or lighter for welding. Auto darkening helmets are really nice, but not really necessary. (Of course I say this and I own 2 of them... [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img] ) Hope this helps.
I always like to learn, but I don't always like to be taught.
millman5

Post by millman5 »

Yes you definitely need a good hood........Whether it be an autoshade of some sort or just a standard hood with a flip front, you will need plenty of replacement cover lense also. I am sure for TIG an autoshade is the way to go. As for lense shade; depending on the rod, for stick a #9 or #10, for mig #10 or #11. If you haven't already found out the hard way. Always wear long sleeves & gloves. I find that a darker color shirt is also helpful, & for long jobs a must to prevent arc eye from reflection underneath your hood. But now that little hand held has it's uses... Good for small tacks & sometimes a tight place so don't discard it.....
If it works Don't fix it....
Lee

Post by Lee »

Oops, I suppose I should watch what I say. The handhelds would be good for tacking or perhaps other things. If you are new to the field, it would be better to make sure you like it before spending money on the latest and greatest. I guess after 20 years my hand is just more comfortable to use than the handheld shields. But that's me. (Kids, don't try that at home.)
I always like to learn, but I don't always like to be taught.
Doug_C

Re: get a real hood

Post by Doug_C »

Yup, He'll have plenty of hot stuff to cook it on too! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
millman5

Post by millman5 »

LOL lee I use my hand or shut eyes & turn away for mig tacks too.......... SSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!! Shouldn't be teaching or recomending [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] that!!!!!!
clocker2

Post by clocker2 »

Ok, I have a hood but don't use it because its worse than the shield. One thing that helps somewhat is turning off the lights and getting my eyes used to the dark. Then I can see a bit more while welding. I try to get my head close too, but really feel that I should be able to see better than I can. Mig is worse than stick. Jeff
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Ok, I have a hood but don't use it because its worse than the shield. One thing that helps somewhat is turning off the lights and getting my eyes used to the dark. Then I can see a bit more while welding. I try to get my head close too, but really feel that I should be able to see better than I can. Mig is worse than stick. Jeff

I understand where you are coming from. I think my eyes are not as sensitive to light as they used to be. I'm getting the NexGen hood soon I hope. I was told for MIG that 9 shade is fine for light work.

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
hacker

Post by hacker »

Get some reading glasses 1.5 --2.5 magnification. Even if your eyes are perfect this will help you see the weld puddle better. ---RG
millman5

Post by millman5 »

I understand where you are coming from. I think my eyes are not as sensitive to light as they used to be. I'm getting the NexGen hood soon I hope. I was told for MIG that 9 shade is fine for light work.

Marty

I use a 9 shade with mig for tacking a project up. But for my eyes I go to a 10 or 11 for the continuous hours of welding a project up. 10 when I am using between 180 to 225 Amps. When I run 1/16" wire & am on up there above 225 to 300A. I usually go to A #11

Hacksaw,
I use the drugstore cheaters or a cheater lens in my hood if necessary too. Good Point!!! Seems my arms are not long enough for my vision anymore.........
millman5

Post by millman5 »

Just a note:

I use 3 different hoods so I don't have to spend time changing lense(s) around all the time. Another thing that probably affects shade choice for me Is most of my building is painted White inside for better light.

We were once replacing the bottom of a large loader bucket. 2 Of us were in there with mig welders. Tha other welders "flash" nearly turned the back of my ears into
'Krispy Kritters"