Couple updates

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Couple updates

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

I ordered a Jackson NexGen EQC with the Shadow Helmet, should be here Wednesday. Looking forward to it. Hope it helps me out. I have a 5 year old Jackson Journeyman and I can't see my work! :-}
I'm hoping the larger viewing area, the ability to drop to shade 9 and that it has the yellow tinted lens will brighten things up.

On the subject of my Tig Cooler, we have a metalworking club meeting next Saturday. I hope to take the project over there and weld it up.
Scott, what amperage is recommended for stainless? (Rule of thumb)
Being lazy here. :-)

Will post pictures of my progress. And how well the new hood works. I will also report on the supplier that sold me the hood. They seemed very responsive to email and had by far the best price on it and no bogus handling/shipping charges. We'll see when I have the invoice in my hand.

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Scott

Re: Couple updates

Post by Scott »

Marty,let us know on the yellow tint,and how you like it.

I don't see you going over about 60 amps or so with the layout of the joints.That will give me a reason to munch up a bunch of stainless on my new unit,and try some ss welding.I will layout some joints like yours,and see what works best.It will also give me a chance to use my new interchangeable head,70 degree,180 degree 125 amp,and also a 70-150 amp head,Flex,and solid body weldcraft torch.That's like getting 5 torches for the price of one,and a half.They have watercooled ones too. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
EdMc

Post by EdMc »

Marty,
I'll be surprised if you do not like the helmet. Different world when you can see. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] If you ordered from AAA in NY there should be no bogus handling or shipping charges.
Ed
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Marty,
I'll be surprised if you do not like the helmet. Different world when you can see. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] If you ordered from AAA in NY there should be no bogus handling or shipping charges.
Ed

Indeed, it was AAA, they were the absolute lowest at $269.95 plus about $10 for 3 day shipping (my request) I spoke with Bill. Very friendly and helpful.
Can't wait to give it a go!
Marty
gglines

Post by gglines »

Marty,

Let me know what you think of the adjustible lens. I have a shade 11 for Mig welding and can't see a darn thing.

George
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Marty,

Let me know what you think of the adjustible lens. I have a shade 11 for Mig welding and can't see a darn thing.

George

11 is too dark for light duty Mig. I can't see well with my 10. Will let the group know. Hopefully it will show up tomorrow. (Wed)
Fla Jim

Post by Fla Jim »

Marty:
You will Love the "Next Gen" helmet. I finally bit the bullet and spent the bucks for one last month. I had a buch of aluminum guards to fabricate. The helmet really spoiled me with my 57 year old eyes and bifocal lenses. I can use the helmet for plasma cutting, grinding with out looking for where I set the face shield or helmet, and I like the #9 shade for sheet metal.

One thing I would like to get is a magnifier lens to help me see my puddle, but I haven't found a large one to fit the helmet.

Jim
EdMc

Post by EdMc »

Jim,
I use the regular size cheater lens in my NexGen with no problem. Guy at the local welding supply told me that they were not made in a larger size.
Ed
artk

Post by artk »

Marty, I am just trying to learn stick welding, but I was talking with my Dad last week. Dad was a master pipeline welder and he said he always used a number 8 shade lens. He said he had no problems with his eyes and that he could see the puddle so much better. I have since replaced my 4x5 lens from 10 to 8 and am looking forward to being able to see more. Just my $0.02...

So if your auto hood will allow you to dial in an 8, you might try it.

Regards,
-Art K
Fla Jim

Post by Fla Jim »

EdMc:
Thanks a lot I'm going to try it out and see if it helps

Jim
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: Couple updates-NexGen Hood

Well, just got back from a very busy club meeting. The NexGen is COOL! I love it.
I'm kind of embarrassed to say, I think I know what the problem is with my Journeyman EQC. The clear lenses are so scratched up what you see is a blur.
[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]
I wonder if I can get one of those yellow lenses similar to the NEXGEN's for the Journeyman, it has the smaller viewing area....

I do recommend
AAA Welding Supply
for the hood, $269.98 plus $10 (3 day UPS shipping). Was by far the best price I had found on the web. Courteous, open on Saturday until 1:00pm I believe.

Marty