need advice for auto darking

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

tony

need advice for auto darking

Post by tony »

what kind of auto darking helment should i get????
thanks tony
aweaver

Re: need advice for auto darking

Post by aweaver »

Depends on what you want it for.

Welding for hours every day, or an hour on the weekend?
Prefer simple and easy, or graphic or feature-packed?

There are many hoods to pick from, but the good part is that the cost of the good ones is falling. A great hood, like a Optrel Satellite or a Speedglas 9000X, can be purchased for about $250. A cheaper, medium-grade hood can be had for about $150-$175 (the Hobart Hood). Then there is the cheapest variety, the HF $50 units, which I could only imagine having as a backup/spare.

It really depends on what you want, and what you need, and what you can afford to spend.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Here's my jaded opinion for minimum requirements:

Buy a BIG NAME BRAND one (Jackson, Speedglass etc)
Buy one with at LEAST 2 sensors - preferably 4
Buy one with the adjustable shading
Buy one that's easy to use (with gloves on)
Buy one that uses "regular" batteries (easy to get if you're
in a pinch)

and BEFORE you buy anything - go try a couple out FIRST - some people HATE 'em - while others LOVE 'em.

Just thinking out loud again
Don F

Post by Don F »

I looked at them at my local welding store and tried quite a few of them on. I looked at the lower cost ones and ended up getting the Jackson Nexgen. Adjustable shades and a large viewing area and a fast response time. I think you can get it on line for about $279 free shipping. I have no regrets. I wouldn't get the cheapest.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

I looked at them at my local welding store and tried quite a few of them on. I looked at the lower cost ones and ended up getting the Jackson Nexgen. Adjustable shades and a large viewing area and a fast response time. I think you can get it on line for about $279 free shipping. I have no regrets. I wouldn't get the cheapest.

Hear hear! I bought the NexGen. What a cool helment. No regrets at all, large viewing area, can set it from 9-13 darkness, setting for grinding and cutting...
Do a search of this forum, HELMET and see what turns up. I think I pait about $279 as well.
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Roy

Post by Roy »

Well I guess I am in the minority here with auto darkening shields. I don't care for them myself. I never had problems with a regular one. I never have really checked back since they have some with larger view, than they originally did, but the first wones I really looked at left a lot to be desired with view area. I better not go and look as the wife would surely kill me if I go and tell her I need a new shield to go with my new MIG.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Roy,
You should stay clear away from the welding store.I had a Sp 175 plus also(great welder)but look what happened? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Luckly,I gave some to my girlfriend.(Thinking ahead) [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Preston

Post by Preston »

Its a Sickness I think. Plastic=welder Visa its all you want to be. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img] [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img] [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img]
mendoje1

Post by mendoje1 »

This question comes up every so often, so I'd like to ask it a different way. Which single brand/model auto-darkening helmet works well across the board for all three methods (stick, tig, mig) and both indoors and outdoors?

Thanks!
Jeff
Rockwell-South Bend-Ammco-Delta-Craftsman-Lincoln-Harris-& Harbor Freight too !
Scott

Post by Scott »

Nope cash,and horse trading.Plus Preston,If you think about it I drive a 66 truck,and all those welders don't even come close to the price of new pile of S**t new car.I also own them outright with no payments for seven years like a new car would have. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img] [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]I also could sell every one of them except the prowave 300 for more then I payed for them,luckly the prowave is the last one I would sell. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

I sometimes have a real problem outside with my Speedglas 9000x.That's if the sun hits it funny.I use my standard big Jackson then.It works very well for all processes though.I have had mine since about 1999,and have been very happy.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hi Scott,

Your comment hit a fun spot with me as well. Once in a while I get some comments from people (who mostly make MORE $ than I do) about all the non sensical "toys" I have - while my wife has "nothing" (their words not hers!)

Like you - I have no car payment - I have never bought a NEW car - I currently drive a POC Ford Truck - but it suits me fine - the money I save allows me to buy the tools and materials for my old car hobby.

A little while back the wife was in the market for a "new" car. She was gonna drop 12 grand or so. (ok it wasn't Brand new THAT time) anyways - I was fine with that cause that's what she wanted - but I did try to suggest that INSTEAD we go out and instead drop 8 or 9 grand on a CLASSIC car for her and then take the rest and get a 'decent' beater she could drive in the winter to keep that old car NICE. I maintain them either way so it's pretty much hassle free for her regardless. I thought it was a GOOD PLAN, but she wasn't tempeted enough to do it. Oh well - I tried. Different strokes for different folks!!!

I look at it like this - while I am "young" and able to crawl under these cars to fix them I might as well do that and take the money I saved and buy cool toys - mills - lathes - welders HEMI PARTS!!!! <grin> - IF ( and that's a BIG "IF" ) I ever decide to buy a NEW TRUCK then I will have my shop totally outfitted - and my counterparts will STILL wonder how I did it!!

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!!!!!!
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Roy,
You should stay clear away from the welding store.I had a Sp 175 plus also(great welder)but look what happened? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Luckly,I gave some to my girlfriend.(Thinking ahead) [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Scott, you are an ILL man! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"