Tig cooler pump

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

e2cub

Tig cooler pump

Post by e2cub »

I just got a water cooled tig torch from E-Bay. Also got a fuse assy. with it. Now I need to make a cooler. Anybody have any ideas on what to use for a pump? Would like it to be reliable and cheap. Thanks, Larry
ttyR2

Re: Tig cooler pump

Post by ttyR2 »

I'd imagine you could use a small inline pump as used on small fountains. Not very high pressure, but plenty of volume. Possibly set it up with a large aluminum auto-tranny cooler and some sort of small water tank. Would probably work well. You'd want some sort of additive in the water as well. I've heard of people using an antifreeze mix, but I'm not sure how appropriate that is.
Thanks,
ttyR2
Scott

Post by Scott »

Some of the miller,and benard coolers use about 50lbs pressure.You could get away with less.If your holding tank is big enough probally could get away without the trans cooler.Its been done a thousand times before, just check google groups,and you will find what you need.I haven't built one my self just fixed old ones.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

I'll "second" the carbonater pump. I have seen "real" coolers use them and they last forever. I used a old one for a homemade parts washer and that was 10+ years ago - still works perfect. I see no reason you need high pressure - as I recall my lincoln cooler operates a low presure. The only time the pressure gets high is when you stop welding a soleniod closes - the pump still pumps until the pressure builds enough to trip a pressure switch to turn the pump off.
This is done as a power/wear and tear saving device but I know of almost NO ONE who uses them this way. I let my pump - pump ALL the time. I don't figure the wear and tear to be enough in my use to matter. Plus running it at the lower pressure means it doesn't WORK as hard - possibly negating the additional run time (wishful thinking maybe)
In any event a carbonator pump is HARD to BEAT and can be had for free if you're resourceful. And bought cheap enough if you're in a hurry.
My 2 cents anyways!
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

I have a small jib crane that my Bobcat sits on. Rated at 500 lbs, it is no workhorse, but it is a rolling helper. The base is a coolant storage unit which allows the use of a watercooled torch when using a tig machine. It was set up to not need a heat exchanger.
Another idea for a heat exchanger would be an air conditioner condensor. Mount it behind your welder, to get the air flow from the welder's fan. (not close enough to restrict the air flow)\
I don't have any good ideas on a pump, but Granger used to sell a small 110 v. one that I always thought would work ok.
Some people run them off of fresh water, and dump it on the ground, if perculation isn't a problem. I noticed when I did this that the flow of water was minimal so the size of the pump would probably be low pressure/ low volume.
Good luck.
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
Scott

Post by Scott »

Jacin, I put gauges on both my miller coolers,and my benard coolers they were arould 50/60lbs on both.The benard one I could adjust so I set it at 35lbs.They were flow thru type no soleniods at all.Those are tiny little hoses to push water thru,and miller/benards have been building a lot longer than most.Thats only what I have seen so high pressure might not be necessary.I do know that too high is hard on the water hoses.Thats the reason for me adding a gauge to my tig coolers to check.
Jeff_Pack

Post by Jeff_Pack »

A small fountain pump will not work.

You have to use a carbonator pump, or some other 40psi minimum pump.

I tried making a home brew cooler with a foountain pump and didnt
work.

With a carb pump, you can go as simple as using a 5gallon water jug
for the cooler, or as clever as a small auto heater core (with fan).

As to coolant, use distilled water, and add some Camco RV pink antifreeze
to help with algae growth.
e2cub

Post by e2cub »

Thanks guys for all the good info. I talked to a welding supplier yesterday and he said I need about 30psi. I never heard of a carbonator pump but will look into getting one. Larry
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Scott, I have a Lincoln cooler (so-so I know but it's been reliable so far- post tinkering) I bought it used with a bad fan (thermal fuse blew- I fixed it but replaced it with a ball bearing fan anyways). The Lincoln uses a hoses with "plastic" clamps - a real disaster lurking. I changed most of them out for SS Clamps. A couple were seriously hard to get to so I wimped out and left those [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]
That was another reason why I opted not NOT use it with the high pressure switch. I haven't stuck a guage on it but I also seem to recal around 30 psi - I like your idea of sticking a guage on it - if for nothing else to keep track of pump condition. Hate to buy a line set because the pump was "dying".
TMason

Post by TMason »

I plumbed mine directly into my water supply. I got a pressure reducing valve and screen filter assembly from a yard sprinkler supplier. At 30 psi, it isn't pumbing much water. I just ran the outlet out the side of the shop wall. Has worked great for 6 years now. Inexpensive solution. Ok maybe cheap.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Indeed. I was given a good (read new) Hypro Gear pump. I went to the ol' Surplus Center Catalog and found a small steel air conditioning condenser, 3 core for $30. I bought a new 230 VAC 1/3hp 1425 RPM Split Phase motor for $40, a Love Joy coupling set for under $5. I ordered a fan/blower from them but they sent a halogen light instead. :-( All told I will have about $100 in my setup, I need to cobble together a tank. Graingers sells the carbonator pumps for about $100.

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Speaking of my TIG Cooler project...anyone have the dimensions for a Bernard Cooler tank? Its the last component I need to complete my cooler. That and maybe a way to monitor the PSI, the pump I have is capable of 150PSI. Probably need to a way to drop that pressure. Maybe a needle bypass valve (open to ideas)
What sort of gauge would be good for this application?
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"