Custom TIG rod holder

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Rwilliams

Custom TIG rod holder

Post by Rwilliams »

Has any of the TIG welders out there ever used one of the "TIG Pen" devices that helps to hold and control the rod during welding. It is like a pen with a collet system to holds rod from .125 to .030 in diameter. It is supposed to allow the welder to be better able to control the filler rod and is supposed to be a big help in the smaller rod diameters.

Let us know your experiences with this new device if you have used one or spoke to someone that has used one.
Metalman

TIG Rod Holder?

Post by Metalman »

I have been TIG welding for over 22 years and have never needed such a device. I am however not opposed to new ideas. After reading the description of the tool in your post I'm still trying to imagine why one would need it and how it works. Could you offer a link or more information?
Ernie F.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Lee

Rod holder

Post by Lee »

If you keep practicing you won't need a holder to help you control the rod. Experience is your best friend. Just get a thin pair of gloves that fit snugly. This will help you not only hang on to the rod, but allow you to feel where it is in your hand and what it is doing. On thinner materials I don't even wear gloves, because they are more of a hinderance than anything, yet can still run the rod down to an inch or so long before it get's to hot to hold onto. I don't recommend this of course.....
Take a piece of rod 6" long or so right into the store with you, try on a pair of gloves and manipulate the rod around with your fingers. Move on to the next pair, and so on. Decide which ones are best for you and buy them. If you find your fingers get too hot wearing them, leave your stubs longer. Just grab another rod. When you are done welding your project, grab the stubs and weld them together and use them later.
I always like to learn, but I don't always like to be taught.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Amen to that. Never waste good rod. Welding stores have a variety of gloves, most are for the heavy rod type welding. If you do TIG you will need a pair of soft and supple gloves that remind me of the fancy driving gloves. They will protect your fingers from radiation burn, "sunburn" but allow a lot of tactile sense for rod control, along with the normal small amount of sparks with tig. You dont need the classic welders gloves for this work. Sparks and cast off 'BBs' are minimal, there is no slag, so the burn threat is way low, unless you are into grabbing hot stuff.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Thanks Scott for the link. The photo confirmed what I suspected: A gadget I definitely do not need. And for $29.00 I can buy two pairs of Tillman kidskin TIG gloves and a sandwich for lunch! :wink:
Ernie F.