Welding, brazing, or silver soldering sintered iron

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

Welding, brazing, or silver soldering sintered iron

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Has anyone successfully welded. brazed, or silver soldered sintered iron?

I have a miter gear that is part of the arm raising system for a radial arm saw, the gear is missing one tooth. The gear is about 1 1/2" od and is attracted by a magnet; that and the finish make me suspect a sintered iron product. Speed and load are not an issue with this application.

The tooth is broken off at the root. The most likely to succeed option, I think, is to make a new tooth out of mild steel, cut a small groove at the root of the missing tooth, and silver solder or braze the new tooth in place.

The gear is visually clean but I can bake it in the oven (shop) for a few hours to remove any residue.

I do not foresee a problem - anything missing or overlooked?
ken hosford

iron gear repair

Post by ken hosford »

I have repair a few gears not by making a new tooth but buy drilling and pegging [ drilling and brazing pins in to base gear than cutting new tooth in the steel pegs and braze ] this gives you a stronger root. I can not say I have done a sintered gear, but you should be able to, the only fun may be if the gear is porus with oil or grease imbedded . It should becleaned well
10 Wheeler Rob

Another method

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

If there is resonable amount of material in the gear under the tooth, another technique is to drill and tap a series of holes and loctite in set srews that are slightly biger in diamter then the origional gear tooth width, and then file and girnd the set srews to the tooth profile on two sides.

Many lathe back gears have been repaired this way. Now there usually spur gears and girnding the profile is not very hard to do.

Rob