A Biginners MIG Adventures

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: A Biginners MIG Adventures

Post by steamin10 »

EDK: I would like to dispell the nasty rumored idea, that being a hack-welder in your garage is ok. It is not. A professional gets paid for what he does. A good weld, is just good, paid or not. Your goal is to make your work the best it can be under the conditions you have. All things being equal, I have seen hobby guys build boilers that were beautiful, and worked with welders building tank cars that sucked at welding. If it were me I'd make em a janitor or something.

Dont put up the excuse that you are not professional, that is mental liscence for failure, and mediocracy. Strive for the best you can do, always. A craftsman attitude will always provide an improvement somewhere along the way. I learned the steps to make things parallel, square, and developed routines to keep them that way. As you work along, (everybody) learn(s) the little things that puts your work lightyears a head of a ten year old doing the same thing. That is the diference between a master (of the skill) and beginer. The only way to get it is to do it.

IMHO you are doing well, on your quest, and I hope to encourage, not scold. I know my limits, and am an OK welder, but have known many, that could put me in the dirt. Carry on.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
EdK

Post by EdK »

steamin10 wrote:EDK: I would like to dispel the nasty rumored idea, that being a hack-welder in your garage is OK. It is not.
IMHO you are doing well, on your quest, and I hope to encourage, not scold. I know my limits, and am an OK welder, but have known many, that could put me in the dirt. Carry on.
Big Dave,

I have no intentions of being a hack welder. People can get hurt, or worse, from bad welding and since I intend only to weld for my own use, that victim would likely be me. :(

I want to get my new lathe set up real bad but until I have the stand welded up it has to wait. I will not even think of welding it up until I've convinced myself that my welding abilities are up to the task. I hope to start welding up a cart for my welder this weekend which will give me some valuable practice on the 14 gauge tubing I'll also be using for my lathe stand.

Thanks for all of the advise. I do appreciate it. :)

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

You are very welcome. And despite my claims, go to, 'never enough time' Junk drawer thread, and see some Bozo welds on wheels and stuff, because I was in a a hurry, on a wleding cart for a mig. Nothing is perfect all the time. Just be smart enough to know it, cause you own it.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
STRR

Post by STRR »

Ed and Big Dave,

I think I have been misunderstood concerning "garage" or hobby welder. I believe the majority of people reading this forum are hobby welders. I am a hobby welder. The point I was/am trying to make is technical education. Pros are supposed to have the full blown technical side understood, whereas hobby welders do not have all the nitty gritty details. For me, I don't know why you should use this type of rod over that type of rod for welding pipe versus welding mild steel. I have welded eyes on the front of a crane that 60,000 lbs of pull couldn't pull off or even distort. I got paid to do that, but that doesn't make me a professional. Nor would I ever call myself a "Welder" just because I can put two pieces of steel together. With all the welds I have made, and are proud of, I am still a hobby welder.

I definitely agree with you Dave; Always try to get better in everything you do. That's the only way you will improve. After 33 years operating a crane, I am still trying to get just a little bit smoother, a little bit faster, a little bit more precise...... Ed, it's very apparent you are doing the same thing; trying to get better and better. Without the formal welding education, I had to learn by trial and error, and the occasional advice from someone who knew more than me. Ed, you're doing the same, only one better - you asked for help. Hope I have/can give you a little something that will help. Dave, I love a person, like you, that never stops trying. You can see the pride in your work.

Good Luck,
Terry Miller
EdK

Post by EdK »

Hey Terry, I didn't think you meant a "hack" when you said garage welder. I certainly understand what you are saying. With no one around to look over my shoulder and give me advise, I use this wonderful forum and lots of practice to get better at welding. Thank goodness for the internet otherwise I'd be completely on my own, which would be a painful way of learning.

I do appreciate you guys that are sticking with me on this adventure. :D

Ed
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Just a thought, to beat this thing to death. I worked at Union Tank Car, and they had about 300+ plus power supplies, set for stick, carbon arc, wire feed, and even tig for some piping. Not all welders could handle all the jobs. Some welding was done on brake lines, I inch pipe and socketed fittings. Some were unloading drops, a stub to a flange fitting. Other guys were in the pad area, putting the pads, that spread the stresses of other weldments to the shell, frame and bolster area, welding sub assemblies to the tank shell pads, where the trucks and bolsters made the end sill. Other guys welded doubling pads and railing standards to those pads, for ladders and walkways on the ends. Others welded tabs and loops and spacers, that got buried in a jacket with insulated cars. It is all welding, But many guys got good at one thing, and just couldn't move to another spot. Others handled x-ray grade welds by hand, for repairs. All the shell welds were 100% x-ray. (DO I GLOW?). Only so many inches of weld could be repaired, before the tank was condemned and 'scrapped'. Even so, each was a bona fide Welder. professional, and paid every week.

Manufacturing often takes the knowledge and artistry out of teh equation. --Here, take this, do this, -- over and over, without special knowledge of any kind.

I was qualified to be an electricain at UTC, and worked alongside the mechanics.

Me, my history, I am (was) a Millwright. My job includes cutting, burning, fabrication, and that means welding. I still dont make the claim of premium welder. BUT I know what one looks like. I still take pride in my constructions, even when they have used parts, or dont quite live up to my imagination. It is still what I do, and there are not that many that can make THAT claim of being all that flexable, except here on this board, where there are many that serve and do that quest.
EdK

Post by EdK »

Hey Big Dave,

I don't mind your thoughts at all and go ahead and beat this thing to death. I enjoy reading your posts. They sure are a lot more interesting than watching the crap that is on the boob tube these days :!:

Ed
EdK

Post by EdK »

Today I got a little more consistent gun movement so my welds were less varied in thickness. Still not there yet but small progress is better than no progress. I didn't get as much time to practice as I'd hoped to this weekend. It's been hot and humid so if I don't get out into the garage early in the day then it's unbearable with the welding coat and all of the other paraphernalia installed. I tried my first T joints with the 14 gauge steel and it didn't go too well. Definitely need to practice some more of those.

Thanks for looking :!:

Ed
Attachments
Back side of welds.
Back side of welds.
Straighter and less thickness variation so I'm making some progress.
Straighter and less thickness variation so I'm making some progress.
calgator

Post by calgator »

Ed,

I would guess that the top weld was the last and the bottom was the first. The top has an even pattern to it. But looking on the back I see nice penetration, you could go for more but don’t try it now wait until you get your abilities reach a second nature then increase the temp and get a little more penetration. Take it in small increment steps of temperature, until you get major distortion on the backside. Then back off by one temperature setting and you will find your ability to well a smooth quick and deep penetrating weld easy and without effort.

Don’t stop you are doing well Ed.

Charles,
The best times were behind one of Al's engines
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

hey! OK. Now, you are doing that weld freehand, as your lines wiggle a bit. Take a chalk or soapstone, and draw perfect straight lines exactly between those practice beads. About 4-5 will do. Try to see the marked out line and follow it. Now you will be multitasking, watching the puddle is what you must do, and be 'aware' of where you are going. You will need to develop the awareness, while you primarily look at your weld puddle to keep it right. Now when you have run those lines, turn the plate, and run across the beads, keeping your line straight, and your bead consistant, up and down the small hills of the prvious beads.. Aint this FUN!

Dont get frustrated, if your welds seem to look like a 3 yrs old crayon drawing. This is something new that will refine how you look and feel about your ability. Be a good student and carry on, you can improve immensly in a short time, or just sell your machine and enjoy TV. Its up to you, literally in your hands.

FWIW I see improvement. You may be a quick study, some guys dont have a clue how it works.
EdK

Post by EdK »

Thanks guys :!:

I had to move faster than I normally like to because I was concerned about blow through. I would like to slow it down a bit so I think I need to tweak the settings just a bit more. Although if penetration is a bit lacking as Charles suggests, maybe I can just slow down a bit and get better penetration. I'll give that a try before I mess with the settings again.

I do have a soapstone so I'll give Big Dave's suggestion a try also.

At some point soon I'm just going to go ahead and start welding up my welder cart. Running beads on a flat piece of sheet metal gets old after while but I wanted to get the settings reasonably close for the thickness of steel. I think I have them close enough now.

Ed
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I read my post, and dont be confused with 4-5 lines, for practice. Not 4-5 lines between each line you have but 4-5 spaces with one line between the beads. And yes, welding gets old real quick. Kinda like beating nails. It is the finished product that matters, not the nails or welds, those are ignored. So are they important. YOU BET THEY ARE.

Just another practice routine, thats all. You are your own teacher, I just asked the question, can you do it. In time it will be yes..