Shop windows: Arc safety

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

bellingham

Shop windows: Arc safety

Post by bellingham »

I'm almost finished setting up an area for welding, but I'm confused about how to handle the windows. Someone outside (like my kids) couldn't view the arc itself (the windows are high up), but could easily see the brightness. I'm assuming this is dangerous, and I should take steps to protect them from this?

I have a 6' x 20' welding curtain (transparent). I also have heavy canvas tarps. Or I could fashion some sort of shutter out of plywood, I suppose. I guess I just don't really understand what's needed. Of course, I want to make absolutely sure my kids don't get hurt, even if they do something like sit in their bedroom window, looking over at the shop watching the "pretty light."

So, the part that confuses me is, all the literature for the welding curtains shows a screen in front of the arc, but it seems obvious that the light is also scattering everywhere, bouncing off whatever is around, and, ultimately, entering the eyes of people on the other side of these screens. This makes it seem like the danger is in looking at the arc itself, rather than the reflected light making it's way to a bystander's eyes. If this is true, then I don't need to do anything to cover the windows. But, is this true?

If this is not true, I guess my second choice would be to use the welding curtain like a window curtain. But then I suppose this raises the question of whether a kid sitting in her room at night, staring across the driveway, would be protected by one of these screens. Or are these screens only intended for someone walking by, not actually stopping to look?

Lastly, I suppose, if I had to, I would make shutters or hang heavy canvas "drapes." So, can someone clarify this, please? By the way, these are good kids who will most likely follow any warning I give them about not looking, but they are young kids, so I have to assume that they wouldn't be able to resist the temptation.
crazyelece

Re: Shop windows: Arc safety

Post by crazyelece »

Take this with a grain of salt, but it was explained to me that the dangerous part is from the UV radiation. Hense you can still damage your eyes if you weld with eyelids closed but no hood on. Or if you have a scratch on a lens that lets uv pass thru but is still tinted so you never see the bright light. Anyway at a distance thru a window, I would think the UV is filtered enough and the brightnesss not intese enough to be of concern. I would warn them to never look directly at the arc and let it go at that.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Crazy is dead on. UV is the culprit, although just brightness can be bad, either are diminished with distance to the viewer. Commercially they use a yellow plastic barrier that blocks the UV, but then ordinary window glass converts UV to heat. It is the reason you cant get a sunburn on your face while driving, but get 'farmers tan' on your arn in the open window. It is why proper welding gear will cover all the exposed skin to hide from welding rays. Curtans or plastic shields, it is better to let the small ones know that some things are dangerous, and should be avoided.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

most of the danger is in the intense uv, to me tig is the worst< after a few month of welding the windows will be so grimed up not much of anything will get thru hihi

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

crazyelece wrote:I would warn them to never look directly at the arc and let it go at that.
That has been my understanding as well.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
bellingham

Post by bellingham »

Sorry it took so long to get back. Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I'll have more questions after I start welding stuff.