Auto Darking Welding Lens.

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

aribert

Re: Auto Darking Welding Lens.

Post by aribert »

mechanicalmagicstated: "I have an old solar powered auto darkening helmet. Even though it seemed to darken correctly, it was not quite right. I was told there are sometimes batteries buried inside, no way to replace them. It's in the trash as we speak, not worth the chance, whatever it might be."

My Harbor Freight auto dark helmet quit working also. I took the lens apart and replaced the battery (actually I mounted an external battery holder to make it easier in the future). I now also keep the helmet near a south facing window to charge up the batteries. My posting to a couple of google groups on the helmet repair w/ photo links. https://groups.google.com/group/rec.cra ... wc=1&hl=en
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I haven't heard of the AD lens going bad in that manner. However, if there are scratches in it, that could let some UV in. It isn't the shade that causes it with an AD lens, though. You might see dots if the shade is too light, but it shouldn't cause flash burn. Could it be a light colored shirt that is reflecting light/UV under the hood? Or maybe something else that is reflecting? You could try to put something over the back of the hood, just to rule that out.

Dave
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

Nope not scratched. I have a cover plate on it. And the Cheaters on the inside.
Mine is smaller than what you replaced the battries in. ( That size wouldn't fit in my old helmet)
Guess it has a small capacator.
No reflection noted. And I used it 3 times, ( the next two just a bit to test not 2 hours welding) at differant places and differant jobs.
Yes, it has me baffaled. Thats why I posted.
But it is old, maybe the newer one are better.
My new helment came yesterday. Just as I suppected the headgear is kind of flimisy. (Why I hate ordering online if I haven't seent the product.) So I guess I have a old lens to target practice on. :roll:
Thanks for the ideas. and keep them coming if you have anymore. I would like to get to the bottom of this.
Jim
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.
boilermaker

Post by boilermaker »

I have had several AD lens in helmets. The first couple did say in the warranty papers that there was a battery inside. Ive had two that used AAA batteries inside. I either scratched, dropped or was stole but nothing lasts forever. The ones with internal batteries were glued or fused together and were replaced when i had problems, like burned eyes. As cheaters/magnifiers go i found i did better with cheap reading glasses. I would carry 3 different strengths, one for welding floor from a scooter, one for welding verts,and one for welding in tight places where my face was too close to focus. My main problems with an AD lens was welding around boiler tubes( boilermakers don't weld pipe, we weld TUBES) because of blocked light to the photp cell.
The AD hood i have now is 10 years old and before i can use i put out in the bright sun for 30 min to recharge, so far it hasn't let me down. Its not used as much now that i've retired but i know its life is almost over.
Two weeks ago i used my father-in-laws Harbor Freight AD hood for 4 days when visiting and helping him to catch-up on his backlog of work( he recently got a pacemaker and can't weld anymore). It worked flawlessly, much to my surprise!!!
boilermaker sam
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

"As cheaters/magnifiers go i found i did better with cheap reading glasses"

Good idea, except that i wear Bi focals now. (The BI isn't in the correct spot)
Glasses on glasses wouldn't work for me.
Jim
boilermaker

Post by boilermaker »

I wear bifocals too that is why i use cheap reading glasses because when you have to tilt your head up to look up close, then the whole hood tilts and you sure cant see then. Put your good glasses in a suitable pouch and don the pair of reading glasses that focus the best at the distance that your working..
Its mush faster to change glasses than to have to change your magnifier/cheaters in your hood,and if your working in a real tight spot where you can't get your head back far enough to focus you might need a real strong magnifier.
boilermaker sam
Andy Rafferty

Post by Andy Rafferty »

I do the same with dollar readers.
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

Update on New welding helment.
This one must have a battery in it.
There is a ON/OFF button.
And so far I keep forgetting to turn ON the helment when I use it.
Just something that I will have to relearn.
Jim
JonLeary

Post by JonLeary »

I put a 2.0 lens in my helmet years ago when I started needing bifocals.