burning straight edge

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

refinery mike

burning straight edge

Post by refinery mike »

I thought this straight edge may be a help to some of the folks on this site. I got some responses on another post that suggested that maybe everyone did not know about this. This is a straight edge for cutting with a torch. It works with some plasma torches as well. This is my shortest one, i have made them up to three feet long. I have used them all day long and never had one warp. I recommend Schedual 40 stainless steel for the pipe but the rectangular bar can be any kind of steel.
Ok to use it you align the bar with your soap stone line and light the torch. You drag (or push if you are good) the torch along the side of the stainless pipe and cut a straight line. the upper bar acts as a handle but also, you slide your left (gloved) hand along the bar while holding the torch. It steadies you and helps to maintain proper height of the torch above the metal. The straight edge must be heavy enough not to move as you cut. Note the heavy bar stock. I have used this tool for 30 years now and it is still as good as new. Sometimes you have to sand the face clean but they last for ever.
Attachments
straight edge.jpg
farmall

Re: burning straight edge

Post by farmall »

Slick tool!

Thanks for posting it.