$1.99 Track Cutter

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

$1.99 Track Cutter

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Well, not exactly $1.99, possibly less, if everything from the scrap box is considered free.

I needed to taper some 1 3/4" square bar for some forks I am making for a friend's tractor. For a right angle cut, there are multiple options, but not for a 16" long bevel, and I did not want to do it on a milling machine.

So, two pieces of conduit, some scraps of unitstrut and clamps for the track, some allthread and a cordless drill for motive power, and a simple carriage running on old ball bearings with a few simple adjustments with a holder for a regular torch. I set the tip size and gas pressure per the Victor book and it worked great. Not the last time it gets used, I am sure.

Some of the large lumps are weights to improve stability.
Attachments
DSC00627.JPG
DSC00629.JPG
Harold_V

Re: $1.99 Track Cutter

Post by Harold_V »

Way cool, Russ! The poor man's track cutter.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

I love it, the only thing I can not see is what did you use on the bottom of the carriage to ride on the conduit.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Mike,

One side of the carriage has several small ball bearings mounted in a V pattern so that they track on the tube, the other side has some bearings that ride on the top of the tube. I have a box of surplus bearings, 3/16 id x 7/8 od. Good for projects like this. The tube in the center is the guide for the allthread.

The picture is a bottom view of the carriage if you haven't already guessed.
Attachments
DSC00632.JPG
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Back to back;

The next step is to weld some verticals on the forks. The forks are clamped back to back and the vertical piece is aligned then fixed with a temporary strut. A bit of preheat is applied before welding then a whole bunch of passes are made with 7018 rod. After it has cooled for a few hours, the clamps are released and the forks are straight. Much easier this way than trying to straighten a couple of bananas.

While it was cooling, the track cutter was cutting out some sides from 1/4" plate.
Attachments
DSC00631.JPG
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Thanks Russ,

Very cool setup :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Chuck K

Post by Chuck K »

Russ, This is one of the best ideas I've seen for a while. I suck with a cutting torch, but sometimes there's not alternative. (Sitting here running my scrap inventory through my mind right now.) I see a new track cutter in my future. Thanks.
Chuck
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Russ Hanscom wrote:One side of the carriage has several small ball bearings mounted in a V pattern so that they track on the tube...
What are the standoffs that hold the bolts that act as axles for the bearings? Are they off-the-shelf items or did you make them? I don't recall ever seeing anything similar.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Those eyebolts happen to be surplus from long ago. You can accomplish the same intent by using short sections of small angle or turning the standoffs from 5/8" or similar stock. Depends on what is in your scrap box!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

So.....every now and then, I have use a track torch. I have bid on a few on fleaBay, but they always end up going for a whole lot more money than I care to spend.

So....this thread got me thinkin'....and I made this:
Track Torch.jpg
Mostly made from leftovers, other than the acme rod & nuts, so it cost more than a buck-99. $45.99 is more like it. I still have to make a lock for the oxygen lever.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Lever lock = bent coat hanger....Done this a hunnerd times. :lol:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

steamin10 wrote:Lever lock = bent coat hanger....Done this a hunnerd times. :lol:
Well....if you look at my pic....right now I push the lever & stuff a 1/4" bolt thru that shiny galvanized piece of flatbar and away I go.....

I was thinkin' a little lever, with a roller, that cams over center, might be handy.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.