Debate on proper practice, or how ot lose a job as a Newbe

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

ken572

Re: Debate on proper practice, or how ot lose a job as a New

Post by ken572 »

Russ Hanscom wrote:E6013 sheet metal rod is commonly dismissed as a sheet metal rod, but it is sold in sizes up to 3/16" by Lincoln, among others. Some kind of sheet metal - 3/8"+ thick?
Russ,
You are correct on the, dismissed as a sheet metal rod, but that is how it is used
in the 1/8" and smaller diameters in industrial production. Note: it has been replaced
more and more by MIG in the last 40 to 45 years in production uses along with E6012
but you will still see it used in this function on occasion. The larger diameters you
mention is mostly used for none critical uses and fill rod etc.
It is funny the way you mentioned it above.. :lol: :lol:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

I stand corrected i got my 6013 and 6011 mixed up. but the point still stands. 7018AC is great if you have clean steel, and 6011 if you are being forced to weld dirty, rusty, painted, or galvanized steel.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

refinery mike wrote:I stand corrected i got my 6013 and 6011 mixed up. but the point still stands. 7018AC is great if you have clean steel, and 6011 if you are being forced to weld dirty, rusty, painted, or galvanized steel.
Yep, and, if memory serves, it (6011) isn't troubled by moisture. In fact, it should not be stored in a rod oven. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
While the rod used was 6010, I learned the keyhole weld. It's amazing how the rod cuts. It's bound to have great penetration, even under less than ideal conditions.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Harold_V wrote:[Yep, and, if memory serves, it (6011) isn't troubled by moisture.
In fact, it should not be stored in a rod oven. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
While the rod used was 6010, I learned the keyhole weld. It's amazing how the rod cuts.
It's bound to have great penetration, even under less than ideal
conditions.
I bought a large upright steel cabinet and mounted two 100 watt bulbs in it,
and kept all my Weld rod and welding gloves, helmets etc., inside.
NOTE: It never got hot enough to ruin any of my electrode's.
This just took care of any and all humidity problems. It worked great.. :wink:

If it's raining and or humid and you have damp shoes and gloves on, and you
are welding with a AC welder, and you put in a new damp rod, you can get a
electrical awakening that will cause you to use dry rod and equiptment.. :oops: :lol:

If I ran out of champher and or cutting electrodes I would use a 1/8" 6010 on
DC straight polarity at 250 amps and it would more then get the job done.
(Turn on all the fan's and open the door's though - LOTS of SMOKE) :lol: :lol:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for that, Ken. That's a great idea. I'll have to pursue it in the future, when I get my shop up to speed.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

I do all my welding in 6011. Usually 5/32. 7018 to cap it off if you want a beauty weld.

I am more concerned with the crane. It is one thing to put some weld on it. It is another if the crane fails after you have worked on it. In commercial work, we have an obligation for being correct, especially when its in a workplace.

To me the company should get an engineer in there to see if something else is not correct. Have the engineer certify that it only needs to be welded where you plan to correct some one elses goober.

Otherwise I would walk away. Remember, its your neck on the line, dont let the company push you. If its wrong and they try to say its ok with out an engineer, dont walk but RUN!
1969 MF 40 Industrial
awake

Post by awake »

I know this is a very old thread, but I wanted to chime in -- IIRC, 6010/6011 produce a more brittle weld than 7018. The point of keeping 7018 dry is not so much how it runs, but how much hydrogen gets into the weld. Hydrogen in weld = embrittlement. Thus, I would not be comfortable using 6010/6011 on a structural piece, especially one subjected to flex and/or vibration.

The earlier comment about required inspection of cranes is the key for me -- I would think there would be some serious trouble ahead for the company if they succeed in getting a non-certified weld repair done on anything to do with a crane.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Buiilding structure, not the Crane itself, if that splits any hairs.

As for the safty aspect, that was a non-existant idea much talked about, but not supported in real terms. They would fire you for walking under a load, or taking a load over personel. But shabby clanky guards over moving parts were the norm, and 'there' was good enough.

I was given the bums rush out the door, and attempts to talk with the surly plant engineer, and plant manager, met with resistance. In the end, the three guys I worked with, were all fired within weeks of me, and three more before the year was out. So I question the attitude of the projection given the fact that not everybody is controlled or stupid.

The culture is wrong for me, period. Further I sayeth not.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
scmods

Post by scmods »

Big Dave

Kudos on taking the high road.

Capitalism doesn't have a conscience. These same guys would throw you under the bus if anything went wrong, fight the poor widow of the guy that got killed over her benefits and then go to the Club, smoke cigars, and complain what a rotten deal they were getting.

Congratulations

Bill Walck