Which miller Tig to get?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Mac metal

Which miller Tig to get?

Post by Mac metal »

I'm a beginner tig welder, but experienced with stick and mig. I'm in the market for a tig machine and am wondering which direction to go? I have a few small uses for it now, but know once I have it, opportunities seem to present themselves.
I was thinking of the:
1.miller multimatic 200, mainly bc of the versatility and if I'm going to spend the $$ I might as well have multiple options/uses for it.
Or
2. Diversion 165 or 180 (but the only draw back I see is the 3/16" max material).

Any feedback, would be greatly appreciated.
-Mac
warmstrong1955

Re: Which miller Tig to get?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Miller makes good stuff. I still own one, (I have 3 welding machines) and have used, abused, and bought dozens of 'em over the years. Mostly for underground mines, which is about as nasty of an environment as you can get. So...as far as Miller, it's a good choice.

I used to have a 165. It was OK, but it, and all those little guys I've been around, are not as smooth as the real deal. I suspect that the Millermatic 200 falls into the same category. The versatility is nice though. Just depends on what you're gona be doin'....and how much.

If you're after a better performer for TIG welding, take a look at the Syncrowave machines. I have run those 200 & the 250, both very good machines for the money.

Another you might take a look at, is a Lincoln Precision TIG 225. That's what I got to upgrade from my Diversion 165. I bought it because it has a few more features than the Millers Syncrowaves, and a little more power. It is quite a bit larger than the Millers. The package I bought came with everything I needed for TIG, except the argon bottle. I bought mine strictly for TIG welding, but it will stick weld, and if I wanted, I could hook up my wire feeder, change the gas, and MIG weld with it as well.

Decisions, decisions, decisions......

Depends on your best guess at what you're gonna be doin', and how many coins are in the piggy bank....

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
david5605

Post by david5605 »

It looks like that miller multimatic 200 doesn't come with needed accessories like the foot pedal and tig kit. Also if you want to mig aluminum you need the spool gun and generally that isnt for precise/controlled work. more for welding up aluminum truck tool boxes. Also pay attention to the duty cycle. That machine at the high end is 20%.

At least the diversion comes ready to use. Keep in mind the guideline of 1 amp per .001" metal thickness.

I have a Thermalarc 185 inverter machine. It has the needed bells/whistles to do nice work on thin aluminum. Not that you can't do nice work without them but the flexibility helps. When I bought it about 4 years ago it was the poor mans (relatively speaking) answer to the miller dynasty 200dx.

I'm really surprised at how the price has really increased in the last 4 years. That dynasty 200dx is at least $1000 more now.

Based on my hobbiest experience with the Thermalarc 185 I'd recommend you look at thermal arc too. Look at Lincoln's too. Looks like thermal arc has a 186 model for about $2000. Looks real similar to my 185. Go look at HTP welders too. They seem to have a decent rep with the home hotrod crowd. Miler has welding forums at http://www.millerwelds.com that are very active.

As far as voltage flexibility goes it isn't a big Selling point for me. I have 220 readily available, I'm not going to loan the welder out and I have no plans to ever take it to a buddy's place to do any welding. Besides I'm not going to lug that darn argon tank around either.

The inverters that give you stick capability is also nice for that occasional job where all you want to do is weld something together under not ideal conditions.

Lastly, before someone mentions them, I wouldn't even consider anything from some place like HF.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Syncrowave 200 ! Had mine about 6 years now no issues. Remember when welding aluminum in thicker sections pre-heat does wonders when using a smaller machine 300* F makes a BIG diff.
www.chaski.com
Scott

Post by Scott »

locomotiveps4

Post by locomotiveps4 »

For what it's worth, I switched to a Miller TIG-runner Package set a couple of years ago. The Tig-runner is a Dynasty 200DX with a water cooling unit all mounted on a cart with the gas bottle. The main reason I went this way was more amps at arc for power in. My new shop's power was limited. This is not a low end package, even with the dealer giving it to me at $75.00 over his cost. Wonderful machine. I fabricate a lot of parts that could be castings. When I bought this machine I switched from a foot pedal to thumb control and really like it. Steve
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

I will second the Thermal Arc suggestion. It's almost a Dynesty @ a lot less money.
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Millermatic Challenger 172
Victor O/A
Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
Esab PCM-875
Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

The dynasty has been mentioned before, but I'll do it again. Great little machine with more flexability and features than you can shake a stick at.

I don't know where you would find it out, but Miller has a demo trailer with a bunch of different machines that makes it's rounds to different trade shows. I know it's usually up here in Calgary for the petroleum show in June. If a person were to find out what that things schedule is you may be able to find it at a trade show near you and try a few different machines and see what you like best. I think that lincoln has a similar unit as well but I'm not sure.
Mac metal

Post by Mac metal »

Thank you all, for the suggestions and wisdom.
i guess i'll be spending my thanksgiving researching these machines and taking all the comments into mind.
thanks again, much appreciated.
MAC
Michael_Moore

Post by Michael_Moore »

I bought a new Miller 250 Synchrowave and it seems very nice (but I'm not an ace weldor). A friend just replaced his 200 Synchrowave with a 350 Dynasty inverter and is thrilled at the improvement (he welds a lot, both aluminum and thin steel/stainless sheet).

One thing to keep in mind is that these new welders have a lot more electronics in them than the old ones. I had the main board go out in my 250 -- after the warranty period. I don't weld much so it had maybe 20-30 hours on it. If that had gone out during the warranty period it would have saved me a good portion of $1400 (I had onsite service done plus the replacement board). The board itself was nearly $1000.

So whatever you get use it enough to get the electronics "burned in" during the warranty period. The new board had a 30 day warranty and what I did was turn the welder on in the morning and off in the evening (to have the electronics powered up) and several times a day go down and switch cycles/adjustments/tap the foot control to give it some exercise. It doesn't draw much power just sitting there. I did this for a couple of weeks and no problems ever surfaced.

cheers,
Michael
stevec

Post by stevec »

Michael_Moore wrote: I had the main board go out in my 250 -- after the warranty period. I don't weld much so it had maybe 20-30 hours on it. If that had gone out during the warranty period it would have saved me a good portion of $1400 (I had onsite service done plus the replacement board). The board itself was nearly $1000.
cheers,
Michael
That would scare me away from paying the extra bucks for a Miller right there, thanks for the heads up!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I bump into the Miller and the Lincoln display/demo trucks about once or twice a year and tinker with one of the new TIG welders just to see how they feel.

I have a Miller MIG that I believe is about a 1972 model and my Miller TIG is mid to late seventies, obviously both transformer machines. Neither have ever been a minutes trouble.

When I play with one of the new ones I often wonder what the actual life expectancy of the inverter/electronic stuff will be.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!