Should I buy it?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Should I buy it?

Post by Pipescs »

I am being offered a Lincolin SP130T Mig wlder on a nice stand. Wired for 220Volt

It looks clean being sold by a blacksmith friend who has started to sell off a lot of his shop due to age. Does not have a bottle for it and uses fluxed wire in his shop.

Is this worth 200.00 if it works and what issues may crop up?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
steamin10

Re: Should I buy it?

Post by steamin10 »

Its a good performing machine for what it is, name brand, and spot on for secondary market price. Stand or roller cart is a bonus for a shop. The only caviat is these welders need a good supply, and that means a HEAVY cord to run off of . If you are in a fringey area with low power, it will not perform as well.

Gas is nice, and can be added with a kit if you like really fine welds. Issues that crop up are normal consumable parts that fail, like contact tips, and drive wheels on high hour machines. Once in a blue moon a selenoid failure (relay) pops up. Nothing a home shop guy cant handle. Basically a fairly bulletproof machine for low duty cycle work.

I own two Lincoln red machines, one with gas, exclusively for aluminum, and the other is cored wire for general stuff. I use both for light work and sheet, as I have a heavy DC industrial welder for structural stuff, tig on steel and stick.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Bought it and it seems to work fine. I have no experiance With Mig welding but my son has been taking it in school.

He seems to be happy with it and I am putting him to work finishing up a welding stand for the stick welder I have and a welding table we can roll outside
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
JTiers

Post by JTiers »

Around here, you couldn't get a junky plastic-part 110V HD (Home Depot version) Lincoln flux core for $200..... more like $450.

You done good. The SP130 is a cut above the cheapo HD units, and should have actual metal wire drive parts. The only thing against it is 230V, which tends to limit it for portable use, but is naturally fine for shop use.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

We fired up the welder on shop power and the Son and I both enjoyed it. This is my first use of one as I grew up on a stick welder. We have one plug up next to the shop door so we can run the welder outside on the driveway.

We have started a small roll around table to weld on.

Also the plan is to move the Mig unit from the roll around cart it is on to a Harbor Freight unit designed for a mig welder and put the Lincoln 225 stick welder on the cart that came with the MIG Unit.

Sorry for any mispelling
Typing this on a small screen wihout my reading glasses and having spent 12 hours at Disney today
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Charley, after having spent 30 years at Disney and probably 29 of those working new years eve and new years day, I always figured anyone who went to the Park any time the last 2 weeks of Dec wasn't playing with a full deck! :) If you're going to be there a few days longer, it should be much more enjoyable.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

That blue type was supposed to be a smilie!!! Guess I don't know how to use them yet.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Jerry_H wrote:That blue type was supposed to be a smilie!!! Guess I don't know how to use them yet.

Jerry
I deleted the link and added the smile.

Simple to use the Smiles----simply place your cursor where you wish one to appear, then click on the one of choice. 8)
Done!
This, of course, is done on the page where you compose your post.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Thanks Harold, I'll figure it out eventually. :) :mrgreen:

Lets see if this works.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

:P :P :P

Jerrty
www.chaski.com
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

going home tomorrow

This is actually painfull
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Pipescs wrote:going home tomorrow

This is actually painfull
Blink! Blink!

Going home is painful?

I love being home.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.