Interesting Welding Helmet Info

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Interesting Welding Helmet Info

Post by SteveHGraham »

I learned something wonderful today. An auto-darkening welding helmet that fails to darken will still protect your eyes.

Found that out after I ran around the house in circles, spazzing out because I thought I was going to go blind.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Re: Interesting Welding Helmet Info

Post by SteveHGraham »

Here's something that is actually useful. Harbor Freight helmets like mine have batteries that poop out after a few years, and they're not made to be replaced, so basically, you're buying a $40 disposable helmet instead of a $120 lifetime helmet, unless you enjoy slicing welding helmets up so you can add your own batteries.

When the batteries croak, the helmet will darken, but it will be too dark, so like me, you'll be welding in random directions.

New helmet tomorrow.
Chuck K

Post by Chuck K »

Steve, That may be true with harbor freight welding helmets, but I seem to remember getting a very bright flash when the batteries were dead on my Miller. I didn't continue to weld....so I can't comment on whether or not the lens still gives adequate protection, but I think not. I do know for sure that I can get replacement batteries for it at battery plus though.

Chuck
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The thing that concerns me right now is reflected flash. I don't think the helmet does a great job of sealing that out.
Chuck K

Post by Chuck K »

A lot of people don't understand how harmful the reflected flash can be. I've been told that some of the cheaper helmets aren't even allowed on some jobsites.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

it is interesting that reading the various manuals (rfm) the cheep helment is good only for arc welding only

the more expensive unit ( blue flame) is good for arc, tig up to 10 amps, and plasama cutting

back up batterys are rated good for 6 yrs and non rechargable as it is fully auto leaving it in the sun would be a good idea.

ok i bought one for the ex mother in law 8)

why play around with your two basically irreparable eyes with low rate helmets burn out the retna and you better really like dogs.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Plasma is not as bad as MIG. My plasma cutter came with a pair of sunglasses.

Okay, not NORMAL sunglasses. But still.
RWL

Post by RWL »

Here's something that is actually useful. Harbor Freight helmets like mine have batteries that poop out after a few years, and they're not made to be replaced, so basically, you're buying a $40 disposable helmet instead of a $120 lifetime helmet, unless you enjoy slicing welding helmets up so you can add your own batteries.
Opening up one of those Harbor Freight helmets isn't difficult and you just wire in a battery box that takes AA's instead. I started with a Harbor Freight and it worked OK. I got a Miller Elite someone was selling new for $50 for quick cash becuase he wound up with two and didn't need the second one. The head gear on the Miller is nicer. I don't recall functional differences between the Harbor Freight cheapie and the Miller. My memory is that the HF helmet was decent, particularly for the price.
jworman

Post by jworman »

SteveHGraham wrote:Here's something that is actually useful. Harbor Freight helmets like mine have batteries that poop out after a few years, and they're not made to be replaced, so basically, you're buying a $40 disposable helmet instead of a $120 lifetime helmet, unless you enjoy slicing welding helmets up so you can add your own batteries.

When the batteries croak, the helmet will darken, but it will be too dark, so like me, you'll be welding in random directions.

New helmet tomorrow.
The $40 Harbor Freight helmet may well be disposable, but buying a more expensive one may not be much better. I have a Jackson EQC that looks like it has the measles in the lens. I can still use it, but it has the same length of warranty as the cheap helmets. If the warranty has expired and the expensive helmet goes bad, it is disposable as well.

I almost always use my HF helmet when welding.
JTiers

Post by JTiers »

hammermill wrote:it is interesting that reading the various manuals (rfm) the cheep helment is good only for arc welding only

the more expensive unit ( blue flame) is good for arc, tig up to 10 amps, and plasama cutting
why play around with your two basically irreparable eyes with low rate helmets burn out the retna and you better really like dogs.
Gee..... why would THAT be?

1) All the welding techniques make the same arc.... and stick welding makes MORE of it than any other, in my experience.... so would be the worst....

"tig up to 10A"???????????? Sounds BOGUS, since why would tig be ANY different from a 150A or 200A arc doing stick, or mig?

In case you mean the helmet won't pick up the others, ..... WRONG..... The cheap HF helmet works fine with low output tig, unless you get the arc physically blocked from the sensor, in which case you may get a flash.

2) ALL the helmets have the UV protection built into the glass..... the "density" of the darkening and its adjustment is purely to prevent being dazzled by pure "light overload".... I suppose if you could stand looking at it for a long time it could be harmful, but nobody can.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

jtiers i guess in the manf says the helment isnt intended for a aplication like tig or plasama, they must have a reason

i suspect that the sensor used , some helments use up to 4, are not sensitive to the frequency of light generated by differient weld processes. just my guess
here is a sample manual

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual ... /46092.pdf
JTiers

Post by JTiers »

hammermill wrote:jtiers i guess in the manf says the helment isnt intended for a aplication like tig or plasama, they must have a reason

i suspect that the sensor used , some helments use up to 4, are not sensitive to the frequency of light generated by differient weld processes. just my guess
here is a sample manual

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual ... /46092.pdf
Well, I have used that helmet for tig, and not a bit of problem with it.

If you notice, ALL the "not suitable" methods (other than laser) produce a much lower intensity arc, or light source.

What it says is.....

"The Welding Helmet is not suitable for TIG welding, Plasma cutting, laser welding or Oxyacetylene Welding/Cutting processes."

laser.... sure, it is not made to protect against a beam which can hit your eye, but not touch the sensor, perfectly possible with laser.

As for the others, Plasma and O/A produce a lower intensity light, and they may be worried that either the sensor might not pick it up, OR that the helmet, which isn't very adjustable, may not "lighten up" enough to give a good view. Those technologies are usually OK with a lighter lens and goggles which almost amount to sunglasses....

Tig.... again low intensity tig might not activate the sensor, or the lens might be too dark for good viewing.

but looking at the statement, the problem does not at all seem to be the idea that those technologies (laser aside) are too intense for the helmet.

In my experience, it works great for tig, however.....