Source for cad bearing silver solder? (other than Ebay)

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Dale Grice

Re: Source for cad bearing silver solder? (other than Ebay)

Post by Dale Grice »

Harold_V wrote:
Dale Grice wrote:I got some from Mcmaster-Carr a while back. http://www.mcmaster.com And I can attest to the health risks. I suffered form metal fume flue for a couple days. Never did that again inside without adequate ventilation. And I thought I was indestructible (when I was younger). :lol:
You are fortunate. Some folks have experienced death. Cadmium is unlike zinc---it can be lethal.

I've used cadmium bearing silver solder routinely--but not large amounts at any one time. I have never experienced any adverse reactions. You must have spent a lot of time soldering.

Harold
I only soldered up 4 small pieces. By the evening I was feeling "off". Next day at work I thought I was getting the flu. Went home early feeling terrible. I was also having abdominal cramps. I didn't think I had done enough soldering for it to be a problem. I had both cadmium & non cadmium solder. I knew I had used the cadmium. I did a little research and figured it was due to the cadmium. Went off to the Doctor and he figured with the symptoms and his research, that my diagnosis was correct. He also learned that abdominal cramps are also associated with acute poisoning. No, I didn't eat it. :) The funny part to the story is when I walked into the doctor's office and told the young gal at the front desk that I was suffering from cadmium poisoning via inhalation; metal fume flu, she didn't have a clue as to what this was. She went back to poll all the Physician's Assistants and they were clueless as well. Took the old guy that was a real Doctor to understand what I was talking about.
Projects:

1.6 CB&Q O1a Mikado
1.6 CB&Q NE7 Waycar

RR Supply 90 ton Logging Mikado
Harold_V

Re: Source for cad bearing silver solder? (other than Ebay)

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for the detailed report. That gives me a whole new outlook on the stuff.

I happen to have a fairly large amount of silver solder, left over from my days as working as a precious metal refiner. While I do not have certs, I'm positive it is cadmium bearing, as it was old when it was submitted for refining, way back in the late 70's. Several hundred ounces of surplus solder were submitted for refining, so I withheld a portion for personal use. My refining fee was based on a percentage, so the customer was treated fairly, and I got solder instead of pure silver. I'm happy to have it, but I'll now be far more cautious than I used to be.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.