Source for cad bearing silver solder? (other than Ebay)

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

rudd

Source for cad bearing silver solder? (other than Ebay)

Post by rudd »

I need to braze some cast iron parts together for a live steam cylinder ass'y. I've read up on the health risks, so I am not looking for further thoughts there. Does anyone know of a source for cadmium bearing silver solder, something in the 45 to 55% silver range? Airgas and Johnstone Supply don't have it, I find it on Ebay but they only take Pay-pal. I have a couple rounds of pay-pal fraud under my belt, do not have and do not want an account again.

thanks
Rudd
hammermill

Re: Source for cad bearing silver solder? (other than Ebay)

Post by hammermill »

you will find it hard to get/find except in the new/oldstock market.
arthur.marks

Post by arthur.marks »

You might try calling Henry James. They are a Harris distributor and deal with the bicycle industry. I'm not sure if what they show in their catalog is cadmium inclusive or not. Either way, I would expect them to be able to provide what you request. Nice folks. Explain what you need and why; they should be able to help you out.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

PayPal. Don't like it, and don't use it, with rare exception.

My policy is to send a message to the seller, through eBay, asking if they'll accept alternate payment. EBay has many sellers convinced they MUST use PayPal, but that simply isn't true. We use our personal checking account for purchases, and have found that almost all sellers will cooperate. Give it a go!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
arthur.marks

Post by arthur.marks »

It's true. I recently listed some things on eBay and noticed that they no longer have a listing for anything other than electronic credit card processors OR cash on delivery. Hence, unless you specifically mention it in the ad, there is no way to indicate you will accept alternate forms of payment. These little details are starting to add up, IMHO. For example, you can no longer view the actual sale price for anything sold through "best offer." It only shows the (usually out of line) list price with a slash through it and "best offer accepted." This gives an erroneous perspective of over-valuation to a lot of people---no one but the seller can know what the item was truly sold for.
sjames

Post by sjames »

mcmaster sells silver solder in several varieties, but its priced higher than what you might get on ebay.
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

OK, please school me ... why specifically cadinum bearing silver solder?

Joe B
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

JoeCB wrote:OK, please school me ... why specifically cadinum bearing silver solder?
Cadmium-bearing just means that it contains cadmium. It makes it perform better.

Downside is health risks.

Here's a link to a discussion on it:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... =8&t=88715

Steve
Dale Grice

Post by Dale Grice »

I got some from Mcmaster-Carr a while back. www.mcmaster.com And I can attest to the health risks. I suffered form metal fume flue for a couple days. Never did that again inside without adequate ventilation. And I thought I was indestructible (when I was younger). :lol:
Projects:

1.6 CB&Q O1a Mikado
1.6 CB&Q NE7 Waycar

RR Supply 90 ton Logging Mikado
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Dale Grice wrote:I got some from Mcmaster-Carr a while back. http://www.mcmaster.com And I can attest to the health risks. I suffered form metal fume flue for a couple days. Never did that again inside without adequate ventilation. And I thought I was indestructible (when I was younger). :lol:
You are fortunate. Some folks have experienced death. Cadmium is unlike zinc---it can be lethal.

I've used cadmium bearing silver solder routinely--but not large amounts at any one time. I have never experienced any adverse reactions. You must have spent a lot of time soldering.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Heres a tip for the soldering bench in the basement. Cut a large box to a convenient heigth, and get the old shop vac out. Duct tape the suction hose into a hole in the side. Use a $5 roll of sump pump hose, and set the shop vac outside. (Noise abatement). Run your everyday extension cord out to power you vac. Instant smoke hood. ( I do this when I expect to do a lot of soldering, and the box is behind my work, and draws teh fumes away form my face.) When running it will provide some slow moving air change. It will keep the little smoke from contaminating your shop environment, with the particle dust. Mother natures rains will wash the outside clear.

Cad is very toxic, and along with lead and zinc should be avoided, especially as an inhalant, the fastest way into your system.

Cad serves as a wetting agent, and helps to 'tin' the joining metals through the flux.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
boaterri

Post by boaterri »

You might try an air conditioning supply house for silver solder.

Rick