Heavy fab. work/weld table height?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Wanna-Be

Re: Heavy fab. work/weld table height?

Post by Wanna-Be »

PeteH wrote:Welcome !!! I think you'll find this is a much more welcoming -- and much more polite -- forum.

One very minor comment -- the guys who taught me the little bit of blacksmithing tech that I have, all agreed that the face of the anvil should be about two or three inches lower than the knuckles of your striking hand, with that hand hanging at your side, as though you'd just completed a swing. More or less, depending on your own preference, and the depth of your (preferred) hammer's head.

That way, at the moment of striking, the hammer handle and the face are parallel to the anvil face, and your wrist remains at 90 deg. to your forearm. Minimizes stress on all the various parts, and makes it more natural to deliver a flattening blow.

Setting the anvil at elbow height would make it literally impossible to deliver such a blow.

Cheers...
Thanks Pete, Now that you mention the Anvil height rule and reasoning, I went back, looked over what I had stated and see my own to be in error. Elbow high would be too high for sure. I have long arms, ("knuckle dragger" so to speak). So since I'm the only one using this work slab/table I will first play around with the principals you have provided and see which height works.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

Elbow height is used to set height on a lathe, for woodturning at least, and serves me well on my metal lathe.
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

This would be nice! With a sturdy very heavy table, frame and quadrant gear. Plus it is motor driven.

I can't afford it for my "hobby" shop but someone might like to look it over. It is in the WA PublicSurplus.com auction here in the Olympia area.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,wa ... uc=1160369

ONLY got 6 hrs so move fast but don't expect me to ship it for you since it is a little over a ton.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

Well, thought I would update this post.

I bid a lot higher than I should have and still didn't get it, at $970. plus fees and taxes.

Always kinda feel bad for the guy who does get it cause, when it ends up with just me and him for the last few hundred bucks. But that is the way auctions go.

I can buy a 5' X 5' stake table for about that much money.

Thanks for your interests and comments on this weld/work table height topic.

Steve
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Wanna-Be

Did yoo happen to see this old post :?:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... ing+Tables

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.