Work holder

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Grantham

Work holder

Post by Grantham »

A guy never seems to have enough arms, hands & fingers to hold and position items for welding and other operations in the shop. While this is not my original idea, my approach is a cheap and simple solution. The holders are ½” pipe nipples and fittings attached to a brake disc. This gives me elevation, extension and rotation.

The parts are black or galvanized pipe and nipples, ‘T’s, elbows and merchant couplings. The clamp to hold the c-clamp, welding and vice grips is a 2” x 3” x 3/16” rectangle tube cut in half. A piece of ½” rod is welded to the rectangle tube half. I used press loc knobs because any length socket head screw can be pressed into the knob head. Not counting the welding clamps, free brake discs and stuff in my scrap box, my cost was less than $20.

A buddy works for a tire repair place and can supply a free unlimited supply of brake disc front wheel rotors. These are stable and heavy enough to make an excellent base to attach a pipe floor flange. The only modifications were to enlarge the opening of a ‘T’ to 7/8” so it slides easily over the pipe. A ¼”- 20 nut is welded for a knob.

And another work holder in my shop can be viewed at http://granthams.com/holder/

Rod
Attachments
holder.jpg
holder2.jpg
holder3.jpg
ken572

Re: Work holder

Post by ken572 »

Hello :!: Grant. :D

I find a lot of uses for those rotor's also.

The price is always just right.. :wink:

I like your use of the pipe fittings as well. 8) :idea:

Thanks for sharing. :D

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Those are nice holders!

This got me to thinking about how I would hold a mirror for a weld on a back side of a pipe. Lots if guys will hold a mirror with one hand and weld with the other when you can't get in a tight place to weld. I would take an extension mirror like the one in the link below slide off the rubber section of handle. Then I would take the dial indicator and one arm off of a magnetic base and arm and slide the mirror into the adjustable fitting. Then stick and position it where you want it. Easy to move and position where needed and no shaking or movement of the mirror.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/52277761/ ... Mirror.jpg
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

Good ideas, I'm sure to build some. Liked the other holders in your link as well.

Bought a new to me 94 F250 two weeks ago as my 90 began to fail and was becoming unreliable. I had new shocks installed and while at Budget Brake and Muffler in White Rock wondered what I could do with all the brake rotors in the bin. Now I know, I'll hit the brake companies in town to see what I can pick up.

RNA....I can barely weld looking head on, can't imagine trying to do that while looking in a mirror....might end up looking like what hair I have left when I try a back trim in the bathroom mirror..... :shock:

But good idea, could have used that a couple of times already, I'll get another mirror next time I'm in town.