Miller Econo Twin HF

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Wanna-Be

Miller Econo Twin HF

Post by Wanna-Be »

I have had this machine for a number of years and used it primarily for Tig of steel and stainless. Very basic machine for that purpose.
Now I want to tig aluminum and I'm told I need some method of control of the start and finish of my weld. "Soft Arc" is a term that I have heard.
Does this have something to do with freq. control?? and can it be controlled thou a foot pedal plugged into the HF control plug?? Or is there something more that I should do. Or does this start/stop control have to do with current control. (just guessing here!)

Admittedly, I am a newbie to tig welding, being trained and experienced in stick and gas welding since trade and US navy welding schools. Mig and some tig has been self taught with advice from others. I would really love to get into aluminum tig but want to keep the equipment limit to what I have with possible upgrades. My Mig has Tig abilities but is only DC no AC. The Miller looks like a good possibility, I hope.

thank,

Ole Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
redneckalbertan

Re: Miller Econo Twin HF

Post by redneckalbertan »

If you don't have a manual miller has it on their website here: http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o302j_mil.pdf

After skinning through the manual I am assuming that you are using scratch start right now and have a gas valve on your torch that you manually turn before starting and after finishing your weld, is that correct?

By the looks of the manual it appears that you can, or could at one point in time, get a remote switch to place on your torch that would remotely turn on and off the high frequency signal voltage (not your welding current). There should be a switch on your machine to select high frequency on all the time (I don't recommend leaving this on if you are not needing the high freq.) or off/remote. If you are welding aluminum you should be able to flip the switch to on and with what you have now weld aluminum (maybe a change in tungsten). The remote would be very useful to use for starting your arc when welding mild or stainless, maybe... But that would be a different topic. If you are taking short breaks in between welding I think I would shut the high freq. off.

When I went through school a zirconiated electrode was used for aluminum, opposed to the 2% thoriated electrode we normally used on mild and stainless steels. With a balled end preparation as opposed to the sharpened pencil tip normally used with a thoriated electrode.

A note about high freq. useage. If you have metal plates pins etc. in your body use the high frequency with EXTREME caution. High frequency electricity can cause heating of metals through induction, like an induction stove. This may result in your getting burned from the inside out. I don't know how metal jewelry and the like is affected, earrings, watches, necklaces etc. but I would remove them as well. I think it is a poor choice to wear these in a shop environment in any case.