easy-flo?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveM

easy-flo?

Post by SteveM »

I have an opportunity to buy a sizable quantity of easy flo, however, it contains cadmium.

I have never silver soldered, but I expect that I will be doing so in the future (finishing a boiler that I have and various and sundry other parts).

As a novice, should I avoid the stuff like ebola, or is it worth using if the proper precautions are taken? What are the advantages / disadvantages (besides the cadmium)?

What would be the proper precautions? I suspect only using it outdoors would be first on the list.

Steve
steamin10

Re: easy-flo?

Post by steamin10 »

Steve, Easy flow is true to its name. It has value in doing fine work. Like any solder it can cast a fume that is unhealthy. Tin lead solder casts both tin and lead as a fume in small amounts. These are what they call time weighted exposures, with the levels being increasingly dangerous over the time exposed. Simply said, you wont work with this material for any extensive period, and common precautions of gloves, venting, and not eating lunch in the same area, and washing hands, all go to limiting exposure.

While I am aware of the risks, of solder metals and brazing (zinc), I take the most common precautions, and move forward. The risk is limited, and for me, acceptable.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.