Small Welding torch

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bruce

Small Welding torch

Post by Bruce »

I bought an old, small oxy/acetalyne torch and want to use it with a small set of tanks that I have. It's a mini torch, not a meco midget but along those lines. I'm wondering if it is safe to use. Is the packing in these older torches graphite yarn? I will take it apart but thought that I would get some insight before I proceed and will soon post a photo of it. If I found that the seals/packing are O-rings is there a specific type of rubber? Thanks.

Bruce
hammermill

Re: Small Welding torch

Post by hammermill »

I know this is differient but I always have a welding shop send them in for rebuild. I would not be surprised if someone on ebay is selling oring kits for the common tourches. beyond that remember most lubes are not safe with oxygen . if the torch is a off brand it may no longer be supported for service ouch
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Bruce wrote:I bought an old, small oxy/acetalyne torch and want to use it with a small set of tanks that I have. It's a mini torch, not a meco midget but along those lines. I'm wondering if it is safe to use. Is the packing in these older torches graphite yarn? I will take it apart but thought that I would get some insight before I proceed and will soon post a photo of it. If I found that the seals/packing are O-rings is there a specific type of rubber? Thanks.

Bruce
Bruce, :D
Go to your local welding supply store and they should have
everything you need. I remember my small set was made
by Uni-weld and they had a Teflon rope, o rings, and gaskets
in them. They might have better replacement products now.
Mine I purchased new in 1970 so it has been awhile. :lol:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Good advise from Ken!
Even if you have some odd-ball thing that's obsolete, some good welding guys should be able to fix you up with materials that are compatible for use in your torch.

As far as o-rings, nitrile (Buna-N), the most common, and Viton are compatible with oxygen & acetylene. I've used regular o-rings out of assortments for years, and they hold up as well as the Victor or Smith issued ones.

With packing, be more careful, as often the run-of-the-mill packing will contain some oil. Bad. Very bad.
PTFE or teflon is what they use now-a-days for torch valve stem packing.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I'll toss my hat in as well. I had both of my Victors (large and small, don't recall models) completely rebuilt by the local welding supply. That included the cutting heads, and the bodies. Both of my Victors are probably 70s vintage with very common parts. Was fairly reasonable as I recall, but that was decades ago.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
HDB

Post by HDB »

Pure oxygen reacts to greasy products. Nitrile o-rings shouldn't be used. Gas mixtures for diving (with higher O2-concentrations) use Viton o-rings.
chooch

Post by chooch »

I hesitate to ask but would like to know.
Would it be SAFE to turn on, then Off, one tank Oxy--Acetylene at a time but Don`t Light them and give each one the soap and water test??
Or, maybe better yet is take the torch set right to a welding shop and Ask directly.
chooch
HDB

Post by HDB »

chooch wrote:I hesitate to ask but would like to know.
Would it be SAFE to turn on, then Off, one tank Oxy--Acetylene at a time but Don`t Light them and give each one the soap and water test??
Or, maybe better yet is take the torch set right to a welding shop and Ask directly.
chooch
Link to interesting document: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse8.pdf

Soap that contains grease (and most do) is not the best option.
chooch

Post by chooch »

HDB wrote:
chooch wrote:I hesitate to ask but would like to know.
chooch
Link to interesting document: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse8.pdf

Soap that contains grease (and most do) is not the best option.
HDB--GOOD THINKING. Greasy soap!!
Thank you.
chooch
(no wonder you can slip in the bathtub) :-(
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

You can buy leak detector fluid at most welding supply stores. I thought I still had a bottle, but can
to seem to find it. I'm sure it was just a water & non-fat soap solution, but it's made for the job and safe for oxygen, acetylene, MAPP, propane, CO2...and most any shop gasses.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Thank you guys. Next time to the welding/steel supplier I will sure ask for that to check my OLD small torch. Might save a few bucks not having to send it away for re-sealing or whatever they do.
Sometimes the fix cost you might as well get Newer.
chooch (cheap)
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I use a few drops of Joy or Dawn dish soap for all my leak indicating, AC work and shop torch/welding stuff. Just a few drops in an old soap bottle does the trick.

For larger assemblies a trash bag ina box filled with enough tap water will show everything you want to know, and its only water.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.