INFORMATION NEEDED ON OLD WESTINGHOUSE WELDER

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

shop hermit

INFORMATION NEEDED ON OLD WESTINGHOUSE WELDER

Post by shop hermit »

i have an old Westinghouse stick welder (bought cheap at auction) that I need some information on. It is a 130 amp AC machine, marked Type 13-C, Style 1457005. None of the taps where you plug in the leads are marked, and their arrangement is rather strange and does not suggest what the amperages are for the various plug-ins....or if it has a "high" and "low" ground as many do. Google doesn't seem to offer any information, so maybe someone on this forum can be of help.
as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.
redneckalbertan

Re: INFORMATION NEEDED ON OLD WESTINGHOUSE WELDER

Post by redneckalbertan »

A picture is worth a thousand words. Can you post a picture of your welder? That may glean more information from the board.

If it looks like this you plug one lead into the x axis of the graph and one into the y axis and if you follow the lines to the intersecting point that gives you the amperage. Which one is ground and your stinger shouldn't matter it is an AC machine.
Attachments
image.jpg
shop hermit

Post by shop hermit »

YES! Thanks a lot for your picture and explanation. This is exactly what I have and I would never have guessed it on my own. Never cease to be amazed at the depth and diversity of knowledge and information on this forum.
as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

its a ac welder and the the grid determines the amperage provided based on where your two leads are connected

the pic was slow loading butthats the beast. be sure to use ac rated rod. also check the duty cycle many of this variety were rated around 20 percent on 80 percent whichcould be helped by a fan to move air. don't know if yours has one. if it does it is important that it works.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Glad I could help you out! As hammermill said use AC rod. It twill make a difference in your weld and DEFINATELY to your frustration level, especially if you are learning to weld. As the voltage cycle gets to the 0 volt point your arc is extinguishing then as voltage begins to grow again the arc has to reestablish itself. AC rod has an additive in the flux to aid in the reestablishment of the arc.

Even at a 20% duty cycle the world does not end. I would say that most weldors do not weld regularly at a 20% duty cycle. By the time you figure tossing the rod stub in the rod bucket, chipping the weld, a little bit of refinement with the old makita grinder, putting in a new rod. You're probably at about the 20%. If you want more production a fan would certainly help!

Duty cycle is based on ten minute intervals, in case you didn't know that.