How to Keep Planishing Hammer from Dissolving Thumbs?

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

How to Keep Planishing Hammer from Dissolving Thumbs?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I just bought a planishing hammer because Harbor Freight was willing to give it to me for $68. That is my justification. I don't need it. I don't really have plans for it. I have hopes of making a motorcycle fender one day, but mainly...$68.

I am planning to move soon, so I don't intend to use the hammer much in the coming month, but I felt I should assemble it and turn it on, just to make sure it works. It has no problems, unless you count dancing around the garage because I have not filled the frame with sand. I think I'm going to box it back up for the move.

I turned a piece of thin aluminum (only sheet metal I had) into a concave piece of thin aluminum. I already have a question: how do you keep a planishing hammer from vibrating your fingers out of their sockets? I can barely feel my thumbs. It seems like it helps to push the work down against the anvil while you work it.
Attachments
06 23 17 aluminum smashed with planishing hammer small.jpg
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
shorttrackhack

Re: How to Keep Planishing Hammer from Dissolving Thumbs?

Post by shorttrackhack »

That is planishing hammer, not to be confused with a power hammer. A power hammer would have left you with missing thumbs, instead of sore ones.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's fun to play with but I am going to need to find instruction on technique.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Thick gloves with plenty of padding reduces the effect of vibration on the hands.