FJ40 Shifter Cover

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

FJ40 Shifter Cover

Post by Russ Hanscom »

My son and I have been working on an FJ40 for a number of years. Several years ago, we upgraded to a small block and an automatic transmission. One of the cleanup items was to make some type of cover for the shifter assembly.

It started with a general cardboard cut and taped to check the idea. Then I made a couple of oak formers for the top and bent the rest around bits of stock and so forth, lots of trimming and trimming to get the pieces to fit nicely. Slow work, it has been one of the main projects for several weeks, but then I am not a sheet metal basher, just feeling my way along.

The top ring to hold the boot is stainless, the rest, which is .030” steel, will get painted. Welding was done with MIG with .020” wire. One thought was to add a guage cluster or a switch panel, but we did not have any identified needs so that will be a later maybe project.

One plan was to make a wood form and put fiberglass over the form, might have been easier and probably a bit faster.

Now for a few days to clean up the mess and put all of the tools away. Might have enough confidence now to tackle the rusted out corner of the hood!

11 F this morning, so no yard work!
DSC01986.JPG
DSC01978.JPG
DSC01980.JPG
DSC01984.JPG
DSC01990.JPG
DSC02014.JPG
Russ Hanscom

FJ40 part 2

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The last picture,
DSC02016.JPG
Not a fantastic job but fine for a first effort and the intended purpose.
GlennW

Re: FJ40 part 2

Post by GlennW »

Nicely done!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
NP317

Re: FJ40 part 2

Post by NP317 »

Impressive!
RussN
Harold_V

Re: FJ40 Shifter Cover

Post by Harold_V »

That should put a smile on Andy's face!

Nice!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

My brother just sold his FJ40 Landcruiser, 1984 petrol for 39500 aussie dollars, just under 30 000 usd.
Highly sought after in Australia.
Not in pristine condition with rust in the doors.
New owner is going to restore and put it on blocks as an investment.
Car SOS in UK restored one and coul not stop raving about it.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

We intend ours to be driven in the dirt and over the rocks. Reliability is the key word, pretty is a distant second; no sense in getting a fancy paint job if you are going to scrape the sides with a bush or two. We bought this 1974 one for $5000 and have about another $10,000 (afraid to add up the actual invoices) in it. Mechanically, it is done and ready, except for upgrading to a full floating rear axle, which is sitting in the corner of the shop.

We have seen a number of ones fully restored, actually far beyond full restored, and folks wanting a fortune for them.