Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jacin

Re: Berkroy Nibbler

Post by Jacin »

Steve very cool looking machine.
I can't tell what owers it.
Is this manual or power?
What did you need to do to reburbish it?

What was it origionally designed to do? I mean straight shearing - circles or ?
It looks pretty stout to be only rated 16ga. I would think that is a very conservative estimate. But then again I wouldn't want to risk damaging it either. What do they normally go for?
Steve_in_Mich

Re: Berkroy Nibbler

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Here is a little different photo from brochure showing the other side. It is motor driven (pulley hidden by the guard).
The one I have had the rear foot broken off so I machined to a square surface, drilled & taped for two 1/4 - 20 machine screws and added an aluminum angle foot. Gereral check out and alignment plus removed rust and gave it a new paint job. Built a angle iron table for it long enough so I can mount the motor directly behind it. So far I haven't picked which motor I will use - probably a DC motor w/controller.
It should do straight and curved (circles) cuts. I won't know about tight radius distortion until I actually try it (when???).
The only info I have on sale price (other than $49.50 new ~ 1953) is $283.00 for the one I saw sell on eBay (the green and red one in the photo above, chipped dies) and one at live auction for ~$375.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.