AC Campbell 6" Nibbler

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

sandman2234

AC Campbell 6" Nibbler

Post by sandman2234 »

Can anybody tell me anything about this nibbler. It was made in Waterbury Ct,
I need to know what size and speed motor I should put on it.
I need to know what size and kind of metal it will nibble.
I need to know what a nibbler is used for. I guess I should ask if anybody has anything they have done with a nibbler that they can show me.
Thanks, from a very dumb nibbler owner.
David from Jax
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
Sam_Savage

Re: AC Campbell 6" Nibbler

Post by Sam_Savage »

I also have a "mystery nibbler". It has a heavy cast iron C-frame with a 12" throat, driven with an 18" dia flywheel/cone clutch that has 3 grooves for A section V-belts. The die set is marked "AC Campbell Division", but there are no other numbers or letters on this machine. From what I have, AC Campbell was the die maker, but I can't tell if they also made the machine. This is a real stout machine. I can easily and quickly cut 10 gauge steel by simply turning the flywheel by hand. Maybe a motor is not needed! I found that a 3/4 HP motor will just barely get this machine up to speed due to the large amount of inertia to overcome, but the motor will trip out on overload. I'll take some pictures and try to post them tonight.
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Mine is definitely made by A C Campbell, since the base is cast with their name in it.The one I have isn't quite as large, it seems as yours. Flywheel aproaches (guess) about 14 inches, throat is probably six (guess from 6" on the casting). Somebody added an attachment to cut circles, it looks. David from Jax
Sam_Savage

Post by Sam_Savage »

David, does your nibbler look like this? This is my first attempt to post a picture. Not the prettiest machine, but it works very well. I find it very useful for cutting inside curves, which are difficult to do with other types of cutting devices. There is very little distortion along the cut edges. Does anyone know what company manufactured this machine? There is a large "2" cast into the right side, and "203" and "Patented July 4, 1922".
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

That is one heavy duty nibbler. Very nice indeed. I'd like to see a head on photo of it if you have one. I would like to find one built like this with maybe a little deeper throat. Thanks for the photo.
Steve
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Pretty much it, except mine has a deeper throat, and has it's own base. Really heavy looking like your picture. Somebody added what appears to be a circle cutter attachment to the front (bolted on). But definitely similiar to this one. David in Jax
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Here is one with a little deeper throat that will nibble 1/4" stock.
http://www.givensmetalcrafts.com/special_deals.htm
Scroll all the way down the page for photos. $1,900.00. It looks like it will do more than nibble.
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

I would hate to have that thing "nibble" on me. Mine isn't that deep. Really need to get a camera. David from Jax
What size motor would it take to run the #2 AC Cambell? I have several motors lying around, just don't know which one to use. david from Jax
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

My guess would be about 1.5 HP based on what Sam found (3/4 HP overload trip)and the HP of the Heck machine. I wouldn't start either machine under load (i.e., nibbling) but once up to speed the flywheel machine would probably be smoother operating. Keep in mind it will take more to stop it too should you need to.
http://www.heckind.net/MODEL4AND3C.HTML
I think most nibblers of about 1.5 HP can cut ~10 gage mild steel.
Sam_Savage

Post by Sam_Savage »

Attached is a head-on view of the 12" "mystery nibbler". The punch has a 3/8" cutting diameter and a 1/8" pilot. The handle at the top adjusts the depth of the punch, and the knob in the middle disengages the eccentric. The punch can be adjusted high enough for the pilot to clear which makes cutting interior holes very easy. A 1.5 HP motor would power this machine quite well. Once up to speed, it won't need a whole lot of power.
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Guess I am going to have to find a flat belt big enough to run this thing, and a pulley to put on the motor. Wish me luck, maybe I can get it running in the next year or so.David from Jax
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Just a thought sandman. Auto mechanics change out surpentine fan belts as preventative maintainance, perhaps a local dealer can provide you with an old belt to use/experiment with. (maybe that spare belt you carry in the trunk of your car?). Some folks even use these belts flipped on there backside in place of the old leather/canvas belts. A pulley for your motor - Size? Maybe a belt tightening pulley from your local scrapyard can be retrofitted. If you make a pulley for your motor (i.e., turn it on a lathe) I suggest a slight crown (if you put the flat side toward the sheeve) and about 2" - 3" OD as a starting point. Whatever you decide, do let us know the outcome.
TIA. Steve