Slitter?Shear?Rotary Machine?Help Please

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spurrick

Slitter?Shear?Rotary Machine?Help Please

Post by spurrick »

Hello,
I just stumbled on this site, I am needing to cut 26" long strips of brass and stainless steel in widths from 1" to 6" wide. Will need to cut up to 18 Ga. I don't need a lot of production, I make brass and stainless covered White Oak stirrups for saddles and am presently using a set of hand shears to cut with. I do need to cut a curved profile on both ends of the last 5'' of the metal so a single machine might not be my answer. I can buy a Wilder 1624 slitter(very good condition) locally for 800.00. Would this be OK for cutting the strips to width and then a rotary or beverly shear for putting the profile on the ends??? I am looking for a clean cut. Hope this is clear and someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks, RIck
spurrick

Re: Slitter?Shear?Rotary Machine?Help Please

Post by spurrick »

I probably need to reword my question somewhat, can anyone tell me does a Wilder 1624 slitter make a clean cut on both pieces of metal, also is the Wilder a quality machine? Is 800.00 a fair price for this machine if it is in good condition? I am not familar with sheet metal machines and the one I am interested in is 4 hours away. Does the machine feed the sheet thru or do you push and guide it? Any help appreciated. Thanks
Rick
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hi Rick, I am NOT familiar with the Wilder 1624 and therefore cannot make anything other than a guess.
What kind of machine is a Wilder???? I took a quick look on the web and I could only find 1 pic and it wasn't too clear.
It was (several times) referred to as a "ductwork" machine. Which makes sense since the capacity was only 16 gage mild steel. Sounds pretty specific of a machine (not very versatile) but again I've never seen one much less actually touched one. Now a big Nibller is a different story [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

The price seems ok - based on what the web prices are - personally I think a Pullmax (nibbler) , Nibbler Factory (Senior, Junior etc), Trumph Nibbler etc would be more versatile of a machine as they can both nibble, slit, punch, form, stretch shrink, etc etc. But I suppose the real determining factor is how much room you have and what jobs you'll want to run on the machine. I know that a good set of shearing dies can leave a veryt nice burr free edge. I also know that there's a ton more about shearing dies than one might guess. I think Pullmax for instance sells 20 or so different style dies depending on material (hardness, thickness, type of cut - straight, radius , or irregular turn - etc etc.
On the smaller scale of things - I do have a bench top nibbler rated to cut .156" mild steel. Admittedly those are a bit hard to find. But for the price you're talking - I hold out for one of those.

On another entirely different tangent.....have you considered trying a bead roller??? I know they sell shearing dies for them. Properly sharpened and clearanced I don't see why that wouldn't work (I've onlt beaded with mine so that's ANOTHER guess)

Oh well there's a few thoughts anyways........wish I could have been more specific, but alas I am a mere hobbiest.

Your mileage may vary
spurrick

Post by spurrick »

Hello Jacin
What about a Swiss made nibbler made by Bachofen and Meier. I can buy one for around 600.00. It has a 48" throat. Would dies be hard to come by or could they be made?? Have you ever heard of this made in Switzerland machine?? I would think it would be a well made machine. A bead roller with shearing dies might be something to look into. Let me know your thoughts on the swiss machine
Thanks,
Rick
D_R

Post by D_R »

One thing to be aware of in making strips as narrow as 1", most shears and nibblers will curl this strip quite a bit. Some methods will leave you a strip looking like a corkscrew.

The Wilder probably will not curl the material as much as other methods.

I suggest you visit some sheet metal fabricators and see what they have to say about your job. Have them run some samples on various machines.

For the contour at the ends of the strips a Beverly shear will do the job.
spurrick

Post by spurrick »

My problem may be solved. I went to a local machine shop and watched the owner use a plasma cutter on brass sheet. WOW. Very little heat, very clean cut.IWe started discussing the stationary nibblers. He took me outside under a shed roof along side the machine shop where he had a 48" C frame type nibbler. Pulled up his shirt and pointed to a scar over his left breast. The punch and die did not mate just right, the punch shattered and actually pierced his heart. WE REALLY NEED TO BE CAREFUL!!
Rick