Louvre Press photo

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Greg_S

Louvre Press photo

Post by Greg_S »

Thought I'd attempt to post a photo of a louvre press I just finished building. Perhaps there is someone out there that reads our sheet metal column that has been entertaining the idea of making one and this will give them some food for thought. I built it and the hydraulic power supply out of 'stuff' I had around the shop which partly influenced the frame material choices and size. It's quiet and works smooth, both good qualities for a machine in my opinion.
Have you run any long louvres with that Pullmax yet Jacin??? Takes some practice, doesn't it!
Scott

Re: Louvre Press photo

Post by Scott »

Greg,very nice work!You must have quite the nice shop to have parts like that laying around.What type,and thickness of metal will it louver?
Greg_S

better photo of the louvre press(?)

Post by Greg_S »

Thanks for the comments Scott! It is made to punch automotive gage/type sheet metal and it does this at only 800 psi so I don't know how thick it's potential would be. I actually built 2 of these machines as identical twins. As we all know, once you're set up for something it doesn't take that much longer to do multiples. At least the machining and grinding parts. The attached photo shows the slideway and power unit a little better in case someone is interested in doing their own. I'd be glad to share my experiences in building them.
Greg
D_R

Re: better photo of the louvre press(?)

Post by D_R »

Hi Greg,

This looks like something you're building for sale, is that right?

If so, how much do you charge for the dies only?

Question about the dies...it looks like the lower die does not have the form of the louver machined into it. Apparently it isn't needed? I've noticed some dies will use a chunk of urethane in the lower die to force the louver shape around the contour on the upper die.

You mentioned Pullmax louver dies. I had a chance to try a set once. In a pinch, for an odd length louver they'll do the job, but they sure aren't easy to use. Also, most people seem to think Pullmax dies will do curved louvers, they won't, unless they're modified which makes them not so good for straight louvers anymore. IMHO, they're overrated, especially if you're doing "hot rod" quality louvering.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hi Greg, Your Press looks just FANTASTIC. I haven't done any louvres with my pullmax just yet (no louvre tool) but I was very much considering builder a tool more like the conventional style you have done there to avoid all the complications and such. The only consideration I was toying around with was whether I should build in some hydraulics to make it easier to use. I considered adding a small unit as part of the lower tool holder and "lift" the bottom rather than lower the top - of course nwo that I think about it I guess it really makes no difference other than what might be more user friendly.
Your machine looks TOP NOTCH - I must say you scrounge up way cooler junk than I do. I guess I'm gonna hav eto look HARDER!

Many thanks for sharing your project - - way way cool!
Greg_S

Post by Greg_S »

Thanks DR and Jacin for your comments! As to your questions DR, I did indeed build them to sell. I've seen no need to use a urethane insert in the die but have certainly tried it. They seemed to work best with holes drilled through the urethane to give it room to collapse. Perhaps the right durometer rubber would have been more appropriate was my thinking after the experiments.
The 'die clearance' around the sides that don't do the shearing is rather generous to keep from splitting the sides of a deep/tall louvre and a nice radius blended around the edges has worked for me. I don't have any extra punch & dies to sell, what extra I had I already sold and I don't have any plans in making more. As punch and dies go, they are as simple as any utility punch is to make and I would encourage anyone to mill some out.

Jacin, I'll keep my ears and eyes open for some cheap pullmax louvre tooling. Is yours a P9 with 1" shank tooling? I forget. Do you have the inline and offset lower tool holders? No doubt you'll whip up some tooling. I do like your idea of adding to the stout frame you have there with traditional type louvre punch setup. A very short stroke cylinder would be all you'd need, the whole affair could be quite compact in size. You're always thinkin' , aren't you Jacin!!! The cool thing about punching louvres for other people is that it has a very direct pay back for what you invested. X amount per louvre punched and it soon adds up. I made louvreing wheels for customers english wheels over the years for rolling long louvres but that is another story in itself. I made a planishing hammer last month that you might get a kick out of Jacin since you have come to really appreciate yours it sounds. I'll post a picture sometime if you want. Thanks again you guys for the encouragment.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

<snip>Jacin, I'll keep my ears and eyes open for some cheap pullmax louvre tooling. Is yours a P9 with 1" shank tooling?

Yes - Mine's the P9 with 1 inch collet.

<snip> I forget. Do you have the inline and offset lower tool holders?

I've got the "centered" lower holder only.

<snip>The cool thing about punching louvres for other people is that it has a very direct pay back for what you invested. X amount per louvre punched and it soon adds up.

Yea, maybe I could get this thing to pay for itself - thta'd be WAY COOL. Them's the tools that are EASY to justify - 'cept with the Pullmax I just grabbed it because it was relatively CHEAP and had so much potential versatility.

<snip>
I made louvreing wheels for customers english wheels over the years for rolling long louvres but that is another story in itself.

Wow - there's a story I'd LOVE to hear the details about!!!!

<snip>
I made a planishing hammer last month that you might get a kick out of Jacin since you have come to really appreciate yours it sounds. I'll post a picture sometime if you want.

Greg are you kidding??? ABSOLUTELY - Please Please show a pic - I am always wanting to look and learn from you cracker jacks! (I mean that with respect not derogatory!)

<snip>
Thanks again you guys for the encouragment.

A HUGE thanks to you for taking the time to share your hard work. I have no doubt you have inspired several of us. I for one!!!!!............Thanks again
Roman

Post by Roman »

WOW......................Now that's what I call a first class louvre press and I love the color, Kudos to you Greg.

I have a dog-meat Vibro-Shear that's in need of some major cleaning but otherwise makes fine louvres, beads, offsets and it even planishes, and of course shears both circles and straights. It has a 24" throat 5/8" tooling and a gear driven gage/fence for straight operations. If I had it cleaned up I'd post a photo because from my experience not many have even heard of a vibro shear.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hi Roman! I have "heard" of a Vibro Shear, but have yet to talk with anyone who has done so much with them. I don't think any of us would mind the dirt so long as we could see your machine. Also if possible could you share any pics of th ework you've done with it???

TIA
Roman

Post by Roman »

Jacin, after I wrote that part about my machine being dirty and not wanting to publish photos of it I reconsidered and decided that when I get back in the shop I'll put a photo or two on this forum. Because, just like you and probably others that frequent this site I'd like to see photos of interesting machines even though they aren't in show room condition, so you can expect Vibro Shear photos in about a week or so.

Ron