Gotta share this story re: bending brakes.....

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Matt_Isserstedt

Gotta share this story re: bending brakes.....

Post by Matt_Isserstedt »

I was out in the "fabrication" building in the back of the plant. Not much fab happens out there as it now belongs to the facilites group but here's the maybe 60" long manual sheetmetal finger brake sitting outside looking kinda twisted...

So I ask some questions of the guys who work there, what's up with the brake?

Seems some unnamed trades were out on a weekend with a 3/8" steel plate they needed to bend and stuck it in the brake. Well they weren't getting anywhere and realized they needed more upward force. Lo and behold, a spare fork truck nearby was the choice of weapons, and lift on the brake they did, not even touching the steel plate but pulling the brake's concrete anchors out of the floor and permanently rendering it a piece of scrap iron.

A big plant never ceases to amaze me with stories about people and the stuff that happens you'd never dream was possible in 100 years.
Steve_in_Mich

Re: Gotta share this story re: bending brakes.....

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

The employee that rendered it junk will probably put in a bid (they always get accepted) of say $25.00 to make that scrap disappear. He's got it, makes the necessary repairs to the legs and saves himself plenty of bucks. I have seen this kind of purposful damage for other reasons too, work stopage being one.

Of coarse you could turn in your bid first Matt. If it is too big at 60", think two 30" units. One for your shop and the other to sell and recoup the purchase price and cost of repairs plus modifications to make 2 machines. Only an idea. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
willy

Re: Gotta share this story re: bending brakes.....

Post by willy »

LOL

Well that is the breaks......

Grin

-willy-