Walsh punch press?

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Scott

Walsh punch press?

Post by Scott »

My friend at his sheetmetal shop has a Walsh press punch,and I was wondering if anybody has used one?It kind of cool looking,kind of like a poor mans nibbler.You can use different dies for notching.It doesn't have the throat depth of a nibbler,but seems like another tool to look for.Here is one that looks similar.

http://prewittmachinery.com/equipment/PP-30.jpg
Ralph_Monroe_Mi

Re: Walsh punch press?

Post by Ralph_Monroe_Mi »

Scott,
I believe that is an OBI (Open back inclinable) punch press which would normally be used in a production application. A die set with a single or multiple stations would be set to the upper and lower platens. Tonnage varies, but is considerable.
Energy is stored in that big flywheel/brake on the right side.

They could be used as a cutoff shear or angle bender with proper tooling, but I don't know if I'd want to run something that powerful with makeshift tooling or no guarding. When I first started in automotive stampings there were a lot of guys with digits and hands missing due to those presses. They are not at all forgiving
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Ralph's statements about these things not being forgiving are right on the money. OSHA stepped in after this machine was made. There are so many safety devices on punch presses these days that it is almost [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img] impossible to get in trouble. A press of that size will probably make 120 strokes/minute. Imagine how little time you have to get your hand out when you trip the lever. OSHA regulated machines require both hands on switches to trigger a cycle, unlike this thing.

Punch presses are best left to those with a lot of experience unless they have these safety devices. The one pictured has almost none, aside from the wheel guards.

I'm inclined to say that punch presses are responsible for the bulk of accidents in shops. Very dangerous, powerful machines, even the small ones.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
L_Webb

Post by L_Webb »

I have to disagree with Harold about his statement regarding punch presses being responsible for the bulk of accidents in the shop.
I can tell you first hand that is not the case. None of our employees are missing body parts. The only injury we have had in at least the last 5 years happened on a guarded 16" disk grinder. Couple of stitches and a lost fingernail.
The machine that would raise our worker's comp insurance is a shear. We even took out our foot shear. We do setup and shear all kinds of material in our punch presses, but are limited to about 14" wide. No full sheets. So technically we don't have a shear on the property.
The older mechanical clutch presses are dangerous and not for the inexperienced. One you trip the machine, it will complete the stroke. If the tooling is not setup properly you can crash it bigtime with disasterous results. Modern air clutches are the only way to go. You can let off the buttons and the machine stops instantly.
That old press in the picture has no operating controls. It would need a pair of palm buttons at least.
Proper training and enforcing safety rules are required for any machine tool.
Les
Scott

Post by Scott »

Les,they have some controls on theirs.I haven't seen it run.One guy did say they tried guards on it,but they get in the way of everything.Everybody that runs it knows what they are doing.I think I will pass if one comes up,and try to just get a metal muncher.Much slower action,kind of like how my brain works.