Grizzly finger brake

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Big D

Grizzly finger brake

Post by Big D »

Hi to all. I have been watching this forum for awhile, lots of great information! My question, does anyone have an opinion on the Grizzy 48" 12 gauge finger brake? I currently have a National 48" 16 gauge finger brake that I bought thru Enco. I have been very disappointed in the quality and capacity of it. I wonder if this National machine is made just for enco to sell? It is very poor quality and the welds look terrible. The rating is supposed to be 16 gauge mild steel for the full length? I tried a 12" piece of 16 gauge once and realized how overrated this machine is. I mostly use it for .080, &.060 5052 aluminum and some 18 gauge steel. I would like a heavier machine so if I ever wanted to do 16 gauge it would be easy and maybe even 12 gauge it needed. Although I like to buy American , (I think I got burned on the National), I would consider the Grizzly based on the price at $1475 compared to more than double that for a Pexto or Tennsmith. I did buy a new Tennsmith 16 gauge nother from J&L with the stand and do love it, very high quality. However I had to pay $1100.00 by the time it was it delivered. If money was no object I would have all new American stuff. I would consider a used American machine but the freight on a used machine could be as much as the machine itself. Anyway does anyone have an opinion on this Grizzly finger brake? http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cf ... mber=G0542
Big D

Re: Grizzly finger brake

Post by Big D »

Here ia a Picture of the National finger brake Enco sells, forgot to include it in my original post above. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPA ... TPG=INLMK3
sailingamerican

Re: Grizzly finger brake

Post by sailingamerican »

I have the Grizzly 32 inch 3 in 1 sheet metal machine. I use it a lot in making small covers for the mechanical organs that I build. It works great. Grizzly is not top notch equipment but I have 7 pieces of equipment from them out of my total of over 80. They are good for the money. I am not building rockets that will end up in space. Go bend the day. Richard